lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: steeleng 6" lift questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I dont use Allen wrenches, too much work lol. I've got a set of cornwell metric and SAE sockets. I just checked, it is definitely SAE. a 9mm is a bit small but would probably work in a pinch. A 10mm is too big. But the 3/8 socket fits perfect.
well i bought some allen sockets specifically for this project. the day I took them home to try them out none of them fit. Understandably they are a set from harbor freight - but their tool quality has gotten a little bit better for some of their hand tools in recent years. Maybe they were just that crappy. Didn't have a allen key big enough to compare my SAE harbor freight sockets to the allen key to see if they were just made bad. So i used my metric allen key I Think a 9mm
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'm sure it was. 9mm will work, just be careful. It's pretty loose in there and can strip it out. Your 3/8 should work, mine fit perfect. Nice and snug but not tight
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I'm sure it was. 9mm will work, just be careful. It's pretty loose in there and can strip it out. Your 3/8 should work, mine fit perfect. Nice and snug but not tight
I took my brand new hex socket set out to the cart yesterday just to make sure I wasn't trying to use the wrong socket and maybe thats why It didnt fit.

However I was right, there is no way those bolts are 3/8" hex key. I am sure I would strip one of them out if I tried to loosen it or tighten it with a 3/8".

I should take one out and go to the hardware to see if these are special sized bolts or something. When I went to blame my socket set - I took a different size and tried it in another SAE hex key head bolt in my tool box, it fit perfectly.

I'm at a loss haha. Maybe theres a size slightly bigger than 3/8 that I need instead?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Man I ran into the same problem you did when I installed the same lift kit about 6 weeks ago. When I went to align I couldn't get my toe adjusted worth a ****, I believe the answer was already given too you by bringing the top joints way in and then set the toe. Once I did that I adjusted the camber using the lower joints and it was relatively pain free. I should give Steeling some feedback on the instructions, which are pretty straight forward, that a great piece of info would be to give a baseline position on those him joints to start from as it would have saved a bit of time on my initial alignment.

Also be careful taking off the steering wheel! I did it to install a dash cover at the same time as the lift and when I did I buggered up the threads on it, and I was trying to be careful and protect it but needed to wail on it to get it off. Heat and penetrate were also used but it probably had never been removed before. If by chance you screw it up I drilled into the shaft a bit and installed a hex bolt and a stack of washers to hold it down and its holding up well and feels good.

Good luck!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

General alignment rule of thumb, you should always set camber and caster before touching the toe. Changes in camber/caster will affect toe geometry. On a golf cart probably not as noticeable since most people measure with a stick lol but it does change the values.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
General alignment rule of thumb, you should always set camber and caster before touching the toe. Changes in camber/caster will affect toe geometry. On a golf cart probably not as noticeable since most people measure with a stick lol but it does change the values.
I dont disagree with you and on anything but a golf cart I wouldn't be aligning it

This kit was so frustrating to follow those directions that you had to work backwards. had I known how little adjustment you get out of the drag link to toe them in, I would have started with the helm joints all the way in. Overall not difficult, but me trying to adjust camber and then adjust the toe in was impossible because all of the helm joints had to be moved anyways to get it toed in correctly.

still don't know what size allen key / allen socket i need. none of mine are a good fit. at this point I'm too afraid to take it out and go to a hardware store just because I don't want to mess with it
Old 07-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've easily aligned hundreds, if not over a thousand cars back in the day back when I used to turn wrenches for a living instead of just for fun. Never tried to count and really dont care to

It's definitely 3/8". I tried a harbor freight socket just to try, the top ones it's a little tight because theres a little rust on the inside of the hex. The bottom ones it slides right in. It may be a little different than my cornwell socket just due to manufacturing tolerance differences...

Worst case, take your 3/8 HF key to the grinder lightly on all 6 sides and it will drop right in
Old 07-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #18
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I've easily aligned hundreds, if not over a thousand cars back in the day back when I used to turn wrenches for a living instead of just for fun. Never tried to count and really dont care to

It's definitely 3/8". I tried a harbor freight socket just to try, the top ones it's a little tight because theres a little rust on the inside of the hex. The bottom ones it slides right in. It may be a little different than my cornwell socket just due to manufacturing tolerance differences...

Worst case, take your 3/8 HF key to the grinder lightly on all 6 sides and it will drop right in
i didn't clarify, it was too big for my 3/8. i would definitely strip it out if I tried to use my 3/8 socket. and my next size up isnt even close to trying to fit. I could always ruin that size though or get a spare and then file one down I guess
Old 07-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Oh... well you got me then! Maybe your kit was built on a Friday afternoon and millertime was rapidly approaching.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts