lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
Jon Jones
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 Haulster 18HP OMC , help getting parts -Carb ETC

Hi, trying to find info and parts for my 1997 Haulster with a 18HP OMC gas engine. I need a carb and other small parts. Master cylinder, air filter box. Service and Parts manual. ANY help would be greatly appreciated ! THX, Jon
Jon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1997 Haulster 18HP OMC , help getting parts -Carb ETC

Jon,

Something isn't right. The 18 hp OMC engines were used in th very late 70's and very early 80's Trucksters and Haulsters. In 1982 they increased the horsepower of the OMC engines to 22 hp by replacing the cylinder heads on the motor with higher compression cylinders. About 1990 they went to 3 cylinder water cooled engines.

If you have the manufacturers name plate located to the left and below the steering wheel on the front wall of the cab, the two digits following the dash in the model number are the year of manufacture. The 18 hp OMC cylinders had the spark plugs located below the center of the cylinder, and on the 22 hp cylinders the spark plugs are located above center of the cylinders. Both cylinders should be identical. The only differenct between the left and right cylinder is the valve location, which is opposite. Intake will be in the upper position and exhaust will be in the lower position. Please try to figure out exactly what you have.

For the age of the Trucksters and Haulsters, you can find pdf copies of the service manuals on www.sillylittlecars.com. You want the 826767 manuals, but the Supplement
manual will be the most interesting. It contains all of the motor information and the electrical schematics of many models for this vintage of Truckster and Haulster.

Also, look at the parts substitution sticky above for more information. Your carburetor is quite likely a Keihin which is a Japanese carburetor. Parts are available, but you won't likely find a new one. I found an exact replacement master cylinder on the shelf at my local forklift service shop for less than 1/2 of what they are selling for on the internet.

Please provide more information so I / we can help you further. A few pictures of your haulster would help identify it better too.

Much of the information that I have posted here over the last several years should be of great help to you. Do a search on my previous posts for some interesting reading. (CharleyL)

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Jon Jones
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
Jon,

Something isn't right. The 18 hp OMC engines were used in th very late 70's and very early 80's Trucksters and Haulsters. In 1982 they increased the horsepower of the OMC engines to 22 hp by replacing the cylinder heads on the motor with higher compression cylinders. About 1990 they went to 3 cylinder water cooled engines.

If you have the manufacturers name plate located to the left and below the steering wheel on the front wall of the cab, the two digits following the dash in the model number are the year of manufacture. The 18 hp OMC cylinders had the spark plugs located below the center of the cylinder, and on the 22 hp cylinders the spark plugs are located above center of the cylinders. Both cylinders should be identical. The only differenct between the left and right cylinder is the valve location, which is opposite. Intake will be in the upper position and exhaust will be in the lower position. Please try to figure out exactly what you have.

For the age of the Trucksters and Haulsters, you can find pdf copies of the service manuals on www.sillylittlecars.com. You want the 826767 manuals, but the Supplement
manual will be the most interesting. It contains all of the motor information and the electrical schematics of many models for this vintage of Truckster and Haulster.

Also, look at the parts substitution sticky above for more information. Your carburetor is quite likely a Keihin which is a Japanese carburetor. Parts are available, but you won't likely find a new one. I found an exact replacement master cylinder on the shelf at my local forklift service shop for less than 1/2 of what they are selling for on the internet.

Please provide more information so I / we can help you further. A few pictures of your haulster would help identify it better too.

Much of the information that I have posted here over the last several years should be of great help to you. Do a search on my previous posts for some interesting reading. (CharleyL)

Charley
Thx Charley ... I really didn’t know what I had !! LOL I figured out it was a Kohler 18HP with a Keihin carb just like you said. Mine has been converted to propane and it “stinks” :) I want to go back with gas and have placed a bid on a used carb. (Update : bought it for $50 )
This is my info. 1997 18HP
Model # 898452B Serial # 97017052
Thanks again , this the the BEST help site on the Web !!!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Jon,

I restored a 1987 Truckster with an OMC 22 hp engine that sat on the edge of a pine forest untouched for about 13 years. If I can do it, you can.

Details about my Truckster can be found in the thread "Cushman Truckster Saved From The Forest" that I posted here several years back. I also parted out an 1989 Police 3 wheeler a few years ago. The body went to Central Florida.

This past Summer an exhaust valve broke in my OMC 22 hp engine, and I had the help of my #2 son to tear the engine down and replace the exhaust valve. We actually replaced both exhaust valves with new stainless valves, so I hope it holds together better this time. It's been apart two other times for cylinder related issues. I think the engine might have been overheated before I got it, because the heat control dampers weren't working properly when I first got it running, and this may have been the reason for the broken valve. I have disconnected the heat control dampers and semi permanently fastened them full open. It doesn't get cold enough to really need to force the engine to warm up in North Carolina anyway and the motor can't overheat with them blocked open. There isn't much heat from the exhaust pipe heater, even if the dampers are working properly anyway.

Come warm Weather 2018 I hope to do a small amount of body work to the cab and then repaint it. It's a 4 wheel Truckster and in North Carolina it kind of falls into the golf cart road rules. which allows it's use by a NC licensed driver to use on secondary roads with 25 mph or less posted speed limits without a license or insurance required for it. I have flashing amber lights front and rear along with headlights and stop / turn signals, plus a farm vehicle reflector, so I've been told that it actually qualifies as a "Farm Vehicle", which offers even less road restrictions. Mine has been on the lesser used secondary roads around here, but it's predominantly used for maintaining my 3 acre yard. It's kind of my motorized utility wheelbarrow.

If your Haulster has an 18 hp Kohler engine, there's a good chance that it's a mid 70's Haulster if it's the original engine, and I doubt that The Kohler engine would have a Keihin carburetor. Kohler used their own carburetors. The OMC engines used mostly Keihin carburetors but there were a few made with American carburetors as shown in the manual that I told you about.

Again, where the model number is displayed to the left and below the steering wheel, it should have 6 digits for the model number, sometimes followed by an alpha character, then a dash, followed by 4 more digits. The first two digits following the dash is the year of manufacture i.e. 826789 - 8729 where the 87 (highlighted) is the year of manufacture. Although the 6 digit model number exists in several other places, it is only the 6 digits and does not include anything else. Only on the ID plate next to the steering wheel will this full number exist, which includes the year of manufacture. They made different models for several years before making significant design and model number changes, so the 6 digit model number by itself isn't a good indication of when it was made. You should also find the first 6 digits of the model number stamped into the metal that looks like a front bumper, just above the left front wheel of a 4 wheeler, or where the left front wheel would be, if it's not a 4 wheeler. Some pictures showing the body style of your Haulster would narrow the guessing down for me, if you can't actually find the metal plate with the full model number on it.

Actually, Cushman made a larger version of the Haulster in the early 90's when Jacobsen owned Cushman and OMC was no longer the owner. This might be the version that you are looking for. I believe that this model Haulster also had a Kohler engine, but I think it was a 27 hp overhead valve engine. The OMC engines were horizontally opposed 18 and 22 hp air cooled engines, and in my opinion, grossly under powered for the weight of a Truckster or Haulster vehicle. I have only seen one of these Haulsters, and it is within 5 miles of me. Jacobsen will likely be the source of help, parts, and manuals for this model Haulster. Jacobsen still has manuals for many of the old Cushman models, even back before they bought Cushman, so a visit to the Jacobsen website might get you the help that you need. They have helped others that couldn't find information in the past, so this might be your best option http://www.jacobsen.com/americas-man...t&Product=292b. If you don't find what you need on the website, call them. They don't have everything listed there, but have been very helpful to others.

There was another owner of Cushman somewhere in the early 90's after OMC sold it, and I think before Jacobsen called Rhanson, or something like that. I don't know anything else about them and I'm not clear whether they were owners before or after Jacobsen.

At any rate, Cushman didn't last for very long before the Cushman name was sold to EZ-GO, the Cushman factory was closed down and much of the factory parts stock was sold off. I was told that www.directparts.com bought many of the parts. The Cushman Factory in Lincoln, Nebraska is now, or was, an empty field after the Cushman Factory buildings were torn down.

For running gear, steering, and motor parts, if you can't find locally available alternatives for what you need, Direct Parts or Jacobsen may be able to help. OMC motor parts are also available from Dennis Carpenter Cushman Scooters, since OMC made a 1 cylinder version of the 22 hp engine for one model of Cushman Scooter, but they don't carry any other parts for Cushman Trucksters or Haulsters. If you call OMC for help you won't likely even get the time of day out of them. They seem to even refuse to admit that they made these engines and once owned Cushman. A phone call to them seems to be a total dead end.

Jon, where are you located? Please take the time to update your personal details and those of your Haulster. Go to "User CP at the top left of this screen in the left end of the second dark blue line. We don't want your street address, but Town or City and State would help, plus the kind of wild buggy that you own and predominantly wish to talk about, which in my case and your's, at the moment, is Cushman.

Charley
Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Jon Jones
Not Yet Wild

Hey Charley I added pics of the Haulster in my Album but didn’t quite figure out how to post them in here . LOL I also included a pic of the ID info on the dash.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Adding pictures is fairly simple. Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of your new post window. A window will appear that lets you select picture files in .jpg format from your computer. Then select "Upload" and it will attach the pictures that you selected to the bottom of your post.

Charley
Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
Jon Jones
Not Yet Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1513578653
Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Jon,

The link in your last post doesn't work. Please try again

Charley
Old 12-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Jon,

We need to figure out what age your Cushman is before we go any further, because much of what you have said about your truckster is kind of contradicting and confusing.

18 hp OMC motors were being installed in the late 1970's and very early 1980's Trucksters,and not at all in 1997. Cushman went from OMC 18 and 22 hp air cooled motors to 3 cylinder water cooled engine made by Suzuki? motors in about 1990. I have seen one Truckster made about 1990 that had a Kubota diesel in it too.

By 1997 I think Cushman had been completely broken up and the Cushman name was being put on EZGO vehicles, since Textron owned both companies by then. The Cushman name continues today, but the hardware behind the name plate is actually an EZGO design.

1979 Trucksters had one center mounted headlight. How many headlights does your truckster have? There is a guy on YouTube who is restoring a 1979 Cushman Truckster Police Meter Maid vehicle right now. Do a Youtube search for "Mustie1" and look for his Cushman videos. Does your Truckster look like his? (hopefully not as rusty as his)

Charley
Old 12-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
Jon Jones
Not Yet Wild

802E4F98-D79B-436B-8ED7-41ADD08DD3D5.jpg

61389FFA-5B12-4811-B923-1C72E3D2266C.jpg
It has a 18HP Kohler engine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts