lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
blueovalinvestments
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Wire size on a precedent?

After installing a alltrax 500amp controller. Is a wire upgrade benifitial to a precedent? My neighboor is telling me the on board computer will only allow so many amps thru the wires, Larger wires will be a waste. Is he correct?
blueovalinvestments is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Wire size on a precedent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalinvestments View Post
After installing a alltrax 500amp controller. Is a wire upgrade benifitial to a precedent? My neighboor is telling me the on board computer will only allow so many amps thru the wires, Larger wires will be a waste. Is he correct?

He's INCORRECT! If you don't add larger wires you'll never get the full benefit of that 500 Alltrax controller. The OBC is for your charger, not your controller. Alltrax shows that they highly recommend 2 ga wires with their 500a controller but many here believe that 4 ga would be enough. Are you using an upgraded motor? Do you plan on getting one soon? One other thing, since you have an OBC you should know that upgrading to 4ga wire will still allow you to run the main (-) lead through the OBC… it will fit… I just did it to mine. But if you decide to use larger wire that’s fine also, just keep the original 6ga (-) lead going through your OBC and run your new 2ga wire parallel to it, from battery #4 to the (-) lead of the controller.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Alltrax does not seem to think it is a waste of time
read this http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...bined-Spec.pdf

For the 500 Amp controller they recommend #2 awg wire,
HD front/rear sw, solenoid, resistor and diode upgrade .
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

4ga is what I Have been using for a long time, 2ga is over kill and hard to work with, and 2ga will not fit threw your obc, you can actually drill out the obc to fit the 4ga wire just fine, good luck
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed! You know an alltrax paid engineer has all of a sudden come up with this 2ga stuff. We have engineers too that say 2ga is an unnecessary waste ...... so lets not just all jump on the alltrax wagon and brow beat everyone who has 500 amps and less than 2ga wires. Many of us have run plenty of 650 amp carts on 4ga wire without problems over the years...... lets leave the books open on this one until the jury comes back. Not just one paid engineer, without any data available to us, to back up the claim? Please.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhfear View Post
4ga is what I Have been using for a long time, 2ga is over kill and hard to work with, and 2ga will not fit threw your obc, you can actually drill out the obc to fit the 4ga wire just fine, good luck
As I mentioned in my post above I was fortunate to be able to have my #4 gauge wire pass through the OBC using just a little bit of pressure to get it going. There have been others that drilled a bit to much and got into the wire loom around the plastic hole of that OBC and destroyed it, so as bhfear mentioned he passed #4 wire through the OBC, "I have ran larger cable threw the obc and have drilled them out ever so slightly", (stated in another thread,) leaving that plastic coating to still coat the wire loop inside it.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-volt-obc.html

I wanted to mention this because I can see someone reading this and say, hey I'll just drill a big hole through it and pass my #2 wire as well. If you try I believe you'll be buying a new OBC!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, probably best to get one of those cone shaped rasps for the drill and slowly sneak up on the right size hole
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Agreed! You know an alltrax paid engineer has all of a sudden come up with this 2ga stuff. We have engineers too that say 2ga is an unnecessary waste ...... so lets not just all jump on the alltrax wagon and brow beat everyone who has 500 amps and less than 2ga wires. Many of us have run plenty of 650 amp carts on 4ga wire without problems over the years...... lets leave the books open on this one until the jury comes back. Not just one paid engineer, without any data available to us, to back up the claim? Please.....
Yeah scotty , just imagin how much power U'll have when U upgrade to #2's

couldn't resist
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

I guess I should have added 4ga is the largest you would want to go threw the OBC, and yes use a cone style bit,
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car