lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Elyssaleah
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Extremely hot Driven clutch '90 Marathon - Normal?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 1990 EZ-GO Marathon 2 stroke on the cheap (at least I think it is - more on that later). It's in really good condition for its age.

Because I live in a neighborhood with VERY steep hills, the car was having a hard time getting up. Never quit or stalled, but at times the car was just barely crawling up.

Anyway, after searching around here and some of the online vendors, I decided to try a couple of things to give it a boost since I'll eventually be adding more weight to the car in the form of a rear seat.

So I changed all of the filters - air, gas, oil. Changed the spark plug. Changed the drive belt.

Then I swapped out the driven clutch spring for the heavier duty kind I've read about here and elsewhere. That was really more work than I had intended since the EZ GO manual for 88-94 models apparently doesn't exactly match my model. (this is what I was talking about earlier - even though the date code ends with 90 and almost everything about the car matches the manual specifications, the look of the drive clutch and the way the driven clutch is secured to the car does not match up - but it was easy to figure out).

SO back to my question, when I took the car on it's first run after having done all this stuff, I decided to take a look at the clutch after a short ride through the neighborhood - I'd say no more than 1 mile, if that and 1 pretty steep hill.

I observed 2 things that, as a complete novice, I have no idea if they are normal conditions:

1. The driven clutch was so hot that I couldn't touch it for more than a half a second.

2. The new drive belt had some minor fraying along the sides - in other words some of the embedded fibers were fraying out along the edge.

What I'm wondering is if these are things that normally happen with a driven clutch and new belts or if maybe I screwed something up really bad when I swapped springs.

This is my first time posting, so please forgive if this has been addressed before or if these are obvious.

I'm new to BGW and a first time poster. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Elyssaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Extremely hot Driven clutch '90 Marathon - Normal?

I'm would say that this is normal. THe newer drivens are aluminum so they dissipate heat quicker but that's alot of friction with the belt pulling through it. It's going to get hot. I've also seen the little bit of fraying on the edge of new belts, that should clear up.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Elyssaleah
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a lot Ruredy. You were right about the belt, it's started to settle in nicely, no more fraying. Took the cart out again today, really pushed it to the limit.

When I got back home, noticed lots of smoking from under seat. Wasn't the motor. The muffler was so hot that some caked on dirt was actually smoldering. Definitely needs to be cleaned and I'll probably do that later today.

Thing is, it's never done that before. Do you think that the extra heat is from the new clutch spring maintaining that lower gear for a longer time? Could that be damaging in the long run?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

have you cleaned the head cooling fins at all? the engine is air cooled and you are supposed to kep those fins clean so that they can remove heat with the air flow from the flywheel/fan. just a thought.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Elyssaleah
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice SCCowboy. I checked the fins out and found a few were pretty caked up with dirt and grease.

I'll post back if it makes a difference. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would look at the plug and check its color also. The carb maybe be gummed up or dirty and be causing a lean burn. I don't think that clutch should be that hot, the heat is from slippage. The stiff spring will hold back the shift but will not cause slippage.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990, clutch, driven, hot, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO