lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Need help with some details on this lithium conversion

Hey guys. I gave up on this conversion that I started a couple months ago. I really need to finish it though. I have most things already purchased and have a cart waiting on it. I would appreciate whatever help you can give.

I have 10 Leaf Modules, Zeva battery maintenance (EVMS3, two 12 cell modules, monitor, temp sensor), and a TC Charger. My system is 72V with an Alltrax 72500.

Things that stopped my progress were the unknowns of: HV and LV relays, Gigavic Contactor, sleep switch, and voltage reducer.

I currently have an accessory battery but would be okay taking it out and using a 72v to 12v converter. Not sure which converter is good for this (seems there are different wattages and amps). And not sure how (and what) to power up to 12v constantly.

Also, not sure about using the Gigavic contactor as a HV or LV relay. I have seen it suggested both ways.

I do plan to use an Anderson Connector, I just quit this build right before I got one.

Again, Thanks for any help. I really need it.
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
cricketo
Getting Wild

Default Re: Need help with some details on this lithium conversion

This is a very good DC-DC converter, but it's pricey :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sevcon-5-Pi...Taj7yo7jzh0NOA

And here is a cheap one :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Chaser-...9c817e1438ded5

How much power you need depends on what you're planning to power from 12 volt source. You definitely can't run a winch or any similar load. You also want to wire it through the BMS, so it won't be providing power when the load contactor is switched off.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for that info. Just need the reducer for occasional headlights and turn signals, and whatever the BMS will need.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
cricketo
Getting Wild

Have you upgraded headlights to LED ? What's the wattage ?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
somfas
Gone Wild

Yes, they are LED, not sure of the wattage.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
cricketo
Getting Wild

No worries, I'd imagine it's not more than 10-15W per bulb. So with the 260W converter you should have plenty of power reserve. For contactors, whether to use independent charger and load contactors depends on how the charger is wired in. Additionally, Gigavac is an expensive brand, even if you end up using an actual power contactor(s) instead of using relays to interrupt buggy's main contactor, you may want to get yourself a cheaper Chinese one :)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When I switched I kept my existing separate 12V battery setup that ran both Winches, my headlights, light bar, and Aux plug in. I did this as should my LV relay kick in......I can still winch my cart onto my pickup.

Check out this post that was on my Leaf build. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...ml#post1549381 I did not buy the Gigavac as a proper inexpensive relay setup will accomplish the same thing without the expensive Gigavac purchase.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for that info! I just keep hearing about Gigavac so I assumed that was the thing to get. I know DaveTM has successfully used relays but I couldn't find the right relays for 84v.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:49 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I don't know if this will help.....I'm NOT an engineer.....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn at least once in my lifetime :) ......But I think this link will get you to relays that are rated at 100V DC (Direct Current). https://www.mouser.com/Electromechan...z0x0rg&FS=True

Now......what I'm unsure of is will these work at a lower voltage like your 82V?

Better minds will hopefully chime in.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for that link Dave. I also remembered that the Gigavacs were also limited to 48v, that I saw.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium