lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
bwbw80
Not Yet Wild

Default Napa 8142?

On the search for new batteries (4 x 12v). Cheapest good batteries I can find are US Battery or Trojan for $169/each.

But in calling my local Napa store, they quoted me on the Napa 8142. It's a 12 volt, and the only thing I can see off the top is that the dimensions are a bit small for a battery well. But they are half the price of the Trojans.

Anyone else use these? I'm just looking for a battery to get me up and going until I can shell out the cash for nicer ones. I've tried finding used ones. No one in my area sells them.
bwbw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
goheelzfan
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Napa 8142?

Don't know about the size, but the golf cart dealer in my area prefers NAPA over Trojan. fwiw
goheelzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Any battery that specifies "Cold Cranking Amps" is not a storage battery - not sure how they can even call it a Golf Cart Battery??? Its performance would be very short/poor indeed.

Actually the weight pretty much tells you the whole story - it is 26lbs - vs 82lbs for Trojan! - so it would perform about 1/3 as well for 1/3 as long (and probably much less than that).

Also - it is described as Glass Mat - if that's really true (who knows?) your Club Car charger will not recharge it properly. AGM batteries have different requirements when it comes to charging. I think NAPA does have golf cart batteries, but this one doesn't seem to be one of them?? Are you sure of the model number?
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
bwbw80
Not Yet Wild

Yes, they have one, and it is actually more expensive than the Trojan batteries.

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms my suspicion.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The 12's are mighty expensive, and don't last as well. Since your gonna lay down that much cash regardless - is it just that your not prepared for the extra time to switch over to 8 volt batteries while you have the chance?
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
bwbw80
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
The 12's are mighty expensive, and don't last as well. Since your gonna lay down that much cash regardless - is it just that your not prepared for the extra time to switch over to 8 volt batteries while you have the chance?
Pretty much, time and knowledge. This is my first cart, and use it primarily to golf (live about .75 miles from the clubhouse). I actually have a tournament the beginning of May that I'd like it to be fully operational for.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

I just searched that model number. DO NOT PUT THAT IN YOUR CART! That is a starting battery and is not designed to work in deep cycling applications. That is a starting battery for gas carts.
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

8148's are the 8 volt ones I use from Napa. They work great and usually cost me about $90 each, but you'll need 6 of them so your still at $540+you'll need 6 cores.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car