lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
bolter
Not Yet Wild

Default Sometimes I hate people

Here's the story, it's going to be long but I want to give as much detail as possible.. At work they bought 5 used golf carts with the light kits installed by the dealer. We use lights all the time (I work in an underground mine) so they were draining the 2 batteries really quick, so I was in the process of converting the lights to 24 volts. Not ideal, I know, but it's what I have to work with. I also installed a state of charge meter on the first cart to help the guys out, so they didn't get stuck. Anyway, I wasn't complete with the light wiring before I left so I put a tag on the vehicle to not operate, well someone took it anyway and shorted out the tail lights and I thought fried the new meter. So I checked voltage at the meter, and I now only have 12 volts going to the meter, also going to the key switch. I haven't had a chance to check for sure what is coming from the controller, but the cart still runs. Any ideas? Also is the controller only looking for an input from the switch or will the 12 volts cause problems?
bolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sometimes I hate people

What your company needs is DC to DC converters of 20-30 amps. I will deal on 5 units.
If not you will always create an imbalance which will fry batteries in the recharge cycle. The controller is looking for 36 or pack voltage to power up. Is that your question?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
bolter
Not Yet Wild

sorry scotty I should have been more specific, the cart appears to be running with the 12 volts to the key switch just fine, which I thought was odd. So I was wondering what the controller was actually looking for, whether it was 36 volts or just a general input, like a PLC. We have tried the voltage reducers before, but they don't hold up in our environment (salt mine) so we just change batteries every year to year and a half. It's just the nature of where I work. We are most likely going to switch over to 36 volt bulbs soon anyhow.
bolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The key should have pack voltage going to it. The whole system should have pack voltage. The controller should have pack voltage. Yes, very odd its running on 12 volts but the controllers will run on 24-36 (most) I would bet money the large terminals have 36.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need converters, as Scotty mentioned...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO