lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Bulky
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Club Car carryall clutch question. Fix or upgrade

I picked up a 2003 Club Car carryall 272 with no motor. I plan to upgrade to a 16 or 18 hp briggs motor. My question is, I got the original FE400 clutches (motor and drive) when I got the cart. Are they worth rebuilding and machining to work on the briggs 1" shaft, or flat out just upgrade both? Thanks
Bulky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club Car carryall clutch question. Fix or upgrade

They aren't really meant for a whole lot of speed. They are set up to give you low-end pulling power and midrange pickup, not a lot of speed. I would order a Big Block kit from Cart Parts Plus and save yourself a shipwreck's worth of work in the swap. They are worth EVERY LAST PENNY!!
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Bulky
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was looking at those.. but I couldnt look myself in the mirror spending $2k on a kit when I have access to a couple of motors and tools to fab up the swap.
I'll hit those guys up to see if they just sell the kit minus the motor. Might be a compromise....
Thanks for the quick response.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

They won't. It's not a Big Block kit without the BIG BLOCK.

I have tried jerry rigging kits together. I'm telling you that it's NOT WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT when you can spend a little more money on the whole kit that already has all the bugs worked out for you.

I was out of my cart for over two months putting a kit of my own together. I was out of it for a little less than 5 hours with the Cart Parts Plus kit.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Bulky
Gone Wild

Club Car

With the newer cart the rotation is counter clockwise right? Since the big block kits have the forward / reverse swapped...how much power / speed would be lost? I think the carryalls have a different gear ratio than the regular cart.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

No, the 1997 and newer carts are clockwise. Every other engine on the planet is counterclockwise.

The 272 is geared 15:1 in forward and 17:1 in reverse. You will have a lot more torque but less speed. That can be cured with high-speed gears. I have never seen them put in a Carryall 272, and I'm not sure they will fit. I would suggest calling Tom at CPP and seeing what he has to say.

I may be able to get you a regular cart rear end out of a 2001 DS if you want the advertised 15:1 forward (reverse) and 11.4:1 reverse (forward). If I dig really deep, I may be able to find you a 1996 rear end which would have the right rotation for the Big Block.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Bulky
Gone Wild

Club Car

I also have an older club car rear, not sure of the year or rotation. I do know it is not the newer unitized rear...and it also looks a few inches narrower than the 272 rear. Also doesnt look as beefy axle wise. Can the hydraulic brakes be swapped from the 2003 stock 272 to the 2001 or 1996 rears you may have? I'm new at this but learning quick.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I have yet to see any Club Car rear end of any type fail under any sort of use, so I think you are OK with any one you can find.

I'm not 100% sure on the brakes.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Bulky
Gone Wild

Club Car

Whats nice about the 272 rear is it has the locker in it. And 4 wheel hydraulic brakes.

I'll see what I can move some stuff kicking around the garage to finance the big block kit.(...need a motorized roller blade or race car parts?...just kidding) Next step after that is to see how bad the Forward (reverse) / Reverse (forward) gear ratio is.

Thanks again for all the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!