lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
VanX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Vanguard crank / clutch shim questions?

First let me preface by saying, I appreciate all the advice by several members who've covered a multitude clutch mount questions. Unfortunately, I've not located a thread that answered mine.

How much shim is too much shim on the Vanguard crankshaft with a Comet 780? What is the optimal spacing between clutch and crankshaft for the Vanguard?

I ask because I've tried several different layouts on my current engine cradle and seem to either land extremely close to the front cover (no shim). Or, as the photos show up to an inch out! My fear is adding the length of the clutch "tube" and the crankshaft together, I'm creating a longer lever that pivots at the seal surface in the front cover.

Is there any concern that with too much "stickout" (for lack of a better term) that the belt could create a pulling/side load on the crank that might damage seals or bearings? Or, is it that the belt and clutch tension cannot create enough force to pull the crank shaft towards the driven clutch?

Am I overthinking this? As always, I appreciate all input from the BGW pros!

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160519_193704.jpg (141.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160519_193737.jpg (128.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160519_193202.jpg (85.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160519_193108.jpg (76.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160519_193117.jpg (98.0 KB, 0 views)
VanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Vanguard crank / clutch shim questions?

If it is sticking out 2 far for you can you not cut the spacer in half?
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
VanX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually there is no spacer on it in these photos. Also I'm at the limit of travel for my slots on the engine mount. If I just moved the clutch, I'd be out of alignment with the secondary.

My current solution is to move the mounting holes on the engine plate one inch over and push the clutch in another 3/4".

Thanks Van
Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I prefer to get the clutch closer to the engine so it's not on the outer end of the crank. That way there isn't as much weight and pull on the end.

If it were me, I'd slide the clutch in and rework the engine mounting holes to move the engine over.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

The vanguard has a large crankshaft bearing to handle the side load. 1" is no problem. The shim should be used to align front to rear clutch. Also it makes it easier should you find you need to move it later. 0-1" long will not effect the engine or seal.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I purchased an engine mounting plate and new clutch. When i noticed the slots on the plate was maxed or close i turned the plate over and worked fine with plenty or adjustment now. Not all plates will do that but worth a check.
DakotaEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
VanX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dakota,

I actually tried flipping the plate before I posted in attempt resolve my spacing issues. I turned the plate over and the bolts were at the left end of the adjustment slots instead of the right end.

Ultimately, drilling some new holes about 1.5" further over to the drivers side in the bottom plate on the cradle, allowed for good alignment.

I then added 3 fat washers behind the clutch, 1/8" each and got my drive/driven alignment on the money.

Its coming together nicely now. Carb linkage is built, gas tank is plumbed, and I have some wiring to do now. I'm so ready to hear this thing roar. Or whisper hopefully with the larger muffler!

Thanks for listening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160523_100128.jpg (226.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160523_100100.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160523_100046.jpg (159.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160523_095840.jpg (291.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160523_100134.jpg (242.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!