lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium setup disharging

Well....I feel like an idiot. I left my cart off the charger and in the tow mode overnight. This morning still 100%.

I never thought to leave it in tow.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #22
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Not to mention, trying to get information out of allied is a bit of a process. They don’t publish ANYTHING. Just to get basic performance specs (low and high voltage cutoff protection, amp discharge and charging rates, etc) you have to contact them directly and ask specific questions. If you don’t ask specific very pointed questions, you get “specifically vague” answers.

I love my allied drop ins, zero complaints about the batteries whatsoever. But the company seems to be quite protective of even the most basic performance specifications

That said, and back to topic, I don’t recall what the exact measurements were but it was a significant drop in parasitic draw when flipping the switch to tow mode. I think in “run” it was somewhere around 200mA draw and in “tow” it was under 100mA. I could check again for exact numbers but it was somewhere around there. I do recall that even in tow mode was quite a bit higher than I’m used to seeing in automotive but it was a noticeable difference.

If I were storing the cart for more than a week or so, I would just disconnect the pack negative. I always leave mine in tow mode, but that’s so the kids don’t accidentally flip the key on and drive it into a wall or through the garage door lol.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:19 AM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Here’s the numbers I was getting with my lead batteries and OBC still connected. I have not tested it with the new setup since I installed the allied and threw out the OBC. I never got a definitive answer if it’s normal or not but I’m guessing so.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170616
Old 06-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #24
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
Well....I feel like an idiot. I left my cart off the charger and in the tow mode overnight. This morning still 100%.

I never thought to leave it in tow.
Losing 8% overnight by being in "Run" vs "Tow" is a lot. More than it should be IMO. I think the largest draw should be from the controller and the last time I checked my Navitas controller's draw when idle it was around 75ma IIRC.

I have a 72v pack where I can turn off the pack's voltage output with a dash button (and effectively also puts the cart in "tow", since the controller and everything else is powered down). I use this as a master "Power" switch because leaving the pack "hot" all the time causes around a 1.3% per day loss (even if cart is in "tow"), and it isn't reflected in my shunt-based SOC meter since the drain is in the BMS itself which is not on the load-side of the shunt. Over a period of time the SOC meter can show more than actual SOC, at least until another 100% charge happens. Since I don't often charge to 100% that can be awhile. Keeping the pack output "OFF" stops any measurable residual drain, and the SOC meter is always within 1-2%, no matter how long I go between 100% charges.

But 8% in 8-10 hours sounds like you may have something going on that maybe shouldn't be? Maybe worth looking into IMO.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #25
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Stealing from BBBHC-I am also certainly no expert. That said, I have always heard that you should use Lithium and then charge as you get down in the remaining life of the battery(ies) and that they do not like to be stored at 100% capacity. Everything that I have read states to leave sitting at around 90-95% if not in use for an extended period of time. My cart has sat for months and has had 0% (digital meter) drop whatsoever, and I do not think that it will move for at least 6 months to a year at this point (I did disconnect the positive lead recently-why do you guys suggest dropping the negative lead?).

My cart is currently in storage but I watch the SOC weekly (or had until I disconnected the pack) as I worry about fire (my cart is sharing space with a lot of other stuff that I would like to keep and burning it all down is not on my wish list!).

Interesting stuff; hope my drawn out reply helps, if even just a little bit!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #26
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

From my experience, for longest life, cycle between 80-90% and 20% SOC. I charge to about 90% and play three rounds of golf which puts it at about 25%. Then charge. Some Lithium dealers are still telling customers to charge after every use. Not good IMO. That is FLA strategy. For long term storage you should put them at about 30-40% SOC for least degredation. Not full charge for sure! I fly electric RC models and I always store my batteries at 3.8V per cell which is about 40%.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #27
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
(I did disconnect the positive lead recently-why do you guys suggest dropping the negative lead?).
Habit mostly. In a golf cart it’s less important due to battery isolation from the frame. But too many years of working on cars I default to disconnecting negative because In a car you always do negative first. That way if you touch something with the other end of the wrench while you loosen the terminal it won’t do anything. If you do positive first and touch a bracket or something you’ll have fireworks. Also less chance of arcing or sparking when you reconnect it.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:41 AM   #28
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

For those of us that occasionally need/want to disconnect the battery pack, either for doing work on the GC or to store it. Has anyone considered installing a control switch or battery disconnect. I'm not sure the correct term. Rather than dealing with the removal of cable each time, seems it would be easier. In my brief search for one, I did not find any that were suitable for 48v systems.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #29
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
For those of us that occasionally need/want to disconnect the battery pack, either for doing work on the GC or to store it. Has anyone considered installing a control switch or battery disconnect. I'm not sure the correct term. Rather than dealing with the removal of cable each time, seems it would be easier. In my brief search for one, I did not find any that were suitable for 48v systems.
You can install an Andersen Quick Disconnect http://www.txinel.com/anderson_connectors.asp on your battery pack. One quick pull and your positive and negative battery terminals are no longer connected to anything.

The down side of this is there's another "transfer point" of the power.....but from what I've read these QD's are very reliable and do the job.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #30
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Got to Campsite and Battery reads 52.497v after sitting three weeks in Tow. This is just about the bottom of where I should recharge. Allied says to recharge at 52v. At this point I think I will opt for a good Disconnect switch or just add in an Anderson Connector (I think I have one in my shop) and retest. If she still looses more then an acceptable amount of juice I will remove the Balancer like was suggested in an earlier or different post (PearlPack I think was told from Allied). This is four 12v Allied Lithium Batteries.
There are no concerns or complaints, Just my observations and tests. I am into these Batteries and Charger SUPER Cheep, so if this is just how they are that is fine also.

Brian
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car