lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium setup discharging

Have a 14 cell nissan leaf setup in my precedent with the Chargery BMS. I have noticed that the cart is losing .3-.4 volts every day. BMS shows storage and no current which means it isnt reading this discharge

any thoughts? My charger LED does stay on all the time but cant imagine that is drawing this much power?

even with the cart turned to storage and tow switch on, the pack is still losing voltage.
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium setup disharging

I’d start by doing a parasitic draw test and see what kind of idle current you’ve got pulling from the controller, radio, voltage reducer, or any other add ons.

It would also be helpful to know what is installed in your cart. And when this occurs. Off a fresh charge it’s normal for it to drop voltage relatively quickly for a bit until the batteries settle down to their true voltage.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Something is draining your battery pretty significantly if you are losing that much voltage per day. You need to determine where the load is coming from. I use a clamp on DC ammeter for diagnosing that kind of stuff but you can use a regular DVM in amps mode if you disconnect things and put it in series.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Something is draining your battery pretty significantly if you are losing that much voltage per day. You need to determine where the load is coming from. I use a clamp on DC ammeter for diagnosing that kind of stuff but you can use a regular DVM in amps mode if you disconnect things and put it in series.
I have a cheaper clamp on ammeter i got from harbor freight a while back . I'll give it a try and see if I find anything.

I will look at my wiring again. Its strange thought because with my pack "disconnected" at the HV?LV disconnect the pack will still lose voltage. So at that point i believe the only thing connected to the pack would be the BMS leads and the charger

but the pack will continuously keep draining so if i leave it unmonitored for a month i would have a ruined pack

I don't think it did this when I first installed the pack.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like either the BMS or charger is pulling some current. Try disconnecting them and leaving it for a day or two and then check the voltage. I left my Leaf pack for 5 months with everything disconnected and it was within 100mV of the same voltage when I returned. I do not have an onboard charger - don't like them. My home designed BMS draws no current when the cart is off - but I disconnected all of the sense leads when I left the pack anyway.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

haven't been able to figure it out yet, but it appears to be draining faster with the BMS on.

If I use the sleep mode which activates the disconnect I am only losing .1-.2 V per day. IF i leave BMS on I am closer to .4v

I will probably disconnect the bms for a few days and get a few readings and go from there
Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Don't know the Chargery BMS but I will say that on my ZEVA, when I put it in sleep mode, the little green light on the BMS still remains lit.

That's draining some power.....if I were to store over a long time period I'd disconnect the pack.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When I left my cart for months, I disconnected everything from the battery cells. It was fine and at same SOC 5 months later.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

One of the things that causes a BMS to run down in standby is the balancing current. Do you balance your batteries in static or charge mode? And are your battery voltages within 30mv? Just a SWAG
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I agree you need to disconnect Everything from the pack including the BMS and monitor voltage over a few days.

I would have to think something in the BMS has failed for it to draw that much current. That's probably about equivalent to a 194 incandescent light bulb being powered by the pack.
The LEDs used on most electronics these days draw so little current a pack that size could probably run one for a year or more without draining below threshold.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car