lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #31
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: **DIY 4x4 Golf Cart: ATV swap**

Quote:
Originally Posted by myates View Post
Thanks for the info I want to try and keep mine as low as I can also. I plan on having a sway bar set up in the rear because I could see an issue with that right off the bat. As of right now I dont plan on having a rear seat. You said awhile ago to watch the clearance between the back wheels and frame so i thought i may as well throw some golf cart rims on it and have some spacers/adapters made that should give me enough room to have really any height id want. They're 1-1/2" spacers plus the offset of the wheel gives me about 3" outside of the body so ill have to get some fender flares before im done. Im integrating the shift indicator in the dash but wiring is a nightmare for me so it may be a little while before i get this one done. The body is actually a 2014 because the original was beyond repair and this is a direct swap so why not i dont have to paint or do body work
Yeah golf cart rims will give you plenty of room, although they may lower your top speed slightly. I'm currently running 25" tires in the back with just enough room not to rub. Im also running 1.5" spacers in the rear of mine which brought the tires out nicely (though I just have factory steel wheels and essentially no offset). I did notice that when I spaced out the wheels they have more leverage on the rear suspension making it a bit softer/saggier. Sway bars are a great idea. I was thinking about making some up with 2006 GTi end links and some 1990 accord bushings (looked to be a good universal design). I actually wired up a universal motorcycle dash for mine that has RPM, Speedo, Trip and a Gear indicator. Haven't found a good reliable rpm signal but heres the gear indicator wiring. If you look at the driver's side of the transmission case you'll see a round sensor with a female pigtail coming off of it. Just correlate with your dash wiring:

White/yellow - 1
Green/red - 2
Brown/red - 3
Yellow/blue - 4
Green/blue - 5
Red/ black - N
075Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #32
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome will do thanks for the info!
myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #33
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Id like to pick your brain on the suspension part of this build. You moved your shock mounts to the front side of the a arm which would be great to have more room for a sway bar in the rear. So i was thinking a little bit here so stay with me for a second. what if I were to leave the original shocks in the original spot and actually added a shock connecting to the top a-arm to basically where the EZGO shock used to mount, and not run a sway bar? Basically at the point with the original location with for lack of a better term "negative camber" at the top you would also transfer suspension more to the outside of the frame and shock being at a 90 degree angle with the ground. Think a sway bar would still be needed? or am i just bat **** crazy? attached is kind of what i was thinking. by the way i am a product designer by trade so i have a tendency to think outside of the box and this is definitely unconventional
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x4 rear end.jpg (82.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #34
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Id like to pick your brain on the suspension part of this build. You moved your shock mounts to the front side of the a arm which would be great to have more room for a sway bar in the rear. So i was thinking a little bit here so stay with me for a second. what if I were to leave the original shocks in the original spot and actually added a shock connecting to the top a-arm to basically where the EZGO shock used to mount, and not run a sway bar? Basically at the point with the original location with for lack of a better term "negative camber" at the top you would also transfer suspension more to the outside of the frame and shock being at a 90 degree angle with the ground. Think a sway bar would still be needed? or am i just bat **** crazy? attached is kind of what i was thinking. by the way i am a product designer by trade so i have a tendency to think outside of the box and this is definitely unconventional
Yeah I think that would work fine. I am actually still utilizing the stock shocks in the rear in addition to the air shocks (just didn’t have them installed in that picture). I think the main issues with the rear suspension is that they don’t have enough spring rate for the weight of the cart. Adding an additional shock like you’re thinking would probably work just as well as the air springs I have. The only thing you need to design around is the rubber brake line on the right rear of the cart which can be easily moved. You shouldn’t have any issues with the shock being too close to the tire after looking at mine. Make sure you get adjustable preload shock to you can dial in how much extra assist you need. I would try to find the most heavy duty shock you can or maybe a used one off like a Yamaha Rhino or something. Let me know if you need more pictures or anything. Limit straps are also another easy option if you need some extra control.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #35
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I was doing some more thinking and went with the sway bar. 1000cc wildcat sway bar cut down and some "go kart tie rods" from eBay. I put spring spacers on all 4 corners to give it some preload. I think this will do the trick thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0521.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0522.jpg (190.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0523.jpg (135.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0524.jpg (184.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #36
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So I was doing some more thinking and went with the sway bar. 1000cc wildcat sway bar cut down and some "go kart tie rods" from eBay. I put spring spacers on all 4 corners to give it some preload. I think this will do the trick thoughts?
Oh that looks really good. Bet that’ll work awesome man.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #37
JRL
Gone Wild

Another 'observation'...re your wheels and tires.
Keep in mind that your front and rear drive ratios are different.
You've gotta figure out, based on stock LTF300 tire sizes, what the rolling ratio between the front the rear tires, and apply to your tire choices. Look up a correct set of tires for your unit and then figure your ratio from that. Some of the later units had similar sizes all around. The early units had smaller rears and tall fronts.
IF you want to use 4x4. It won't matter in two wheel drive.
And as I advised a long time ago, you'll need a fan on the cylinder/head, and oil cooler.
Heating will be your only major concern. Find very efficient fans as you don't have a lot alternator on those things.
The weight of the cart will heat the engine thru the wet centrifugal clutch.
It won't be operated at speed for airflow.
No problem in winter...
If your front driveshaft grows by 21", oribably a center support would be a good idea.
I had .ine stretched 17" without problems. But, I have 1" tube now instead of the original 14mm. It's light and resists whip.
Unlike my Kaw, your driveshaft disconnects in the engine, so no spin in 2x4. You have a 4x4 diff lock on the front diff.
Carry on!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #38
AndyFinck
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for this write up.
I just acquired a 2002 Suzuki venison 500 4x4 and I'm getting ready to start on my golfcart. Your info will help a lot.
AndyFinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:44 AM   #39
JRL
Gone Wild

The Vinson will make a far better conversion. They were excellent in most respects. Powerful buggers with shifting 2w/4w and liquid cooled.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #40
optikid
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you could do it again would you use the same atv?
Im not happy with my ezgo gas engine, but i would rather do this over a big block since everything would get upgraded.
theres a 2001 250 actic cat near me for pretty cheap, but it smokes. but you said it can be converted to a 300 right? that would fix the smoke, if its the rings.
optikid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300, arctic cat 250, suzuki king quad
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps