lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
bryanf
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement motor for G22

Brand new to the forum, you guys seem like an experienced group so Im hoping for a little advice.

I have a 2004 Yamaha G22 which I bought on Craigslist a few months ago. After hearing a grinding sound I pulled the motor and it is badly rusted/ corroded and needs replaced. Im debating between a stock motor and a high speed motor, sometimes called the "rocket" which is made by advanced motors (DG1-4003). I tried to post a link to the motor but Im a newbe so it wont let me.

From all the research Ive done online it sounds like this motor does not require an upgraded controller, battery cables, etc. Im wondering if anyone has experience with this motor or something similar. Also I want to make sure its the same size as I don't want to modify the rear shocks (its a tight fit for those who have never worked down there). Any advice or experience would be much appreciated!
bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
bryanf
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Replacement motor for G22

Forgot to mention I have the stock GE controller, I think its a JU2-H6510-00-00.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Man just to play it safe unless you do want the speed I would stay with the stock motor or send it to plum quick and have the bandit upgrade done.anytime you do a motor upgrade you are gonna create a weak link in your system somewhere,whether it be wiring,f&r switch,sylenoid,controller,and overall performance,if your satisfied with stock ide stay stock,theres so much other stuff you can do to your cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back yard cart 002.JPG (128.6 KB, 0 views)
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
bryanf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. That's basically what the local cart shop told me as well. Im not looking to customize this one much. As long as I get through 18 holes I'm satisfied!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanf View Post
Thanks for the advice. That's basically what the local cart shop told me as well. Im not looking to customize this one much. As long as I get through 18 holes I'm satisfied!
ide get my stock motor rewound and take care of your batterys and roll with it.
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
bryanf
Not Yet Wild

Update.

Couldn't resist the high powered motor. It's been installed for a couple of weeks. The cart feels twice as fast, per gps I'm getting well over 20mph. As of now all is well and stock controller works perfect!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
strip
Not Yet Wild

I am also looking for an upgated motor for my 04 G22. I currently get only 12 MPH and the slowest cart on the Course. If you don't mind.

1) where did you buy it
2) what was the cost
3) was it difficult to install
4) what speeds are you getting

thanks
strip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strip View Post
I am also looking for an upgated motor for my 04 G22. I currently get only 12 MPH and the slowest cart on the Course. If you don't mind.

1) where did you buy it
2) what was the cost
3) was it difficult to install
4) what speeds are you getting

thanks

I would replace the controller before motor. An alltrax will work in your cart and give you more torque plus 20+ mph on stock motor.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
bryanf
Not Yet Wild

1) where did you buy it: everythingcarts.com

2) what was the cost: just over $500

3) was it difficult to install: My old motor was completely seized so it was difficult to get off. Once the old one was off the new one went right on. Took less than one hour.

4) what speeds are you getting: According to iphone app around 20 on flat ground. Because the regen is different on this motor I bet I can get over 25 down hills. When I climb big hills it is a bit sluggish as the torque is not effected.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I would replace the controller before motor. An alltrax will work in your cart and give you more torque plus 20+ mph on stock motor.
Early G22-e's had a very nice GE controller and high speed motor's work very well with it. The later G22-e's with the Moric controller....you better only drive it on the "flat's".
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha