lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
wofologistics
Not Yet Wild

Default 05 GEM Cycles off/on while charging

I have an issue that stumps my local cart shop. Have 05 Gem E4 with OEM Delta Q charger (72v) It started cycling off then on every 3-5 seconds. Figured the 15 year old charger was dead so replaced with a "for fun" 2 stage charger. It charged to about 72% then also started cycling on/off repeating. So I actually checked batteries, seemed fine, Checked output charger..again seemed ok. So figured above my knowledge so sent it in. They said they hooked it up direct to battery pack and it charged fine and holds so not a battery issue. They think its charger but what are the chances that two chargers of different makers do the same thing? They are willing to bet the house on it but wont refund on a new charger if they are wrong so here I am. They tested batteries and charger output and still believe its something in the chargers. Any ideas or experience with a GEM doing this? Oh and the cart place said they dropped batteries to 50% and hooked up the on board charger which got to 75% and began to cycle off and on...
wofologistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 05 GEM Cycles off/on while charging

Understand that I have no idea what's going on with your specific cart but generally, when a charger cycles on and off like that it's because it is sensing an issue with the batteries. IE, they are not taking all of the current and too much is making it back to the charger. In this case, the charger turns itself off and tries again after a certain amount of time.

Again, I have no idea if this is your issue but I have seen it in 48v carts for sure.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts