lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
TheHunter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Looking for battery recommendations

I just purchased a 2007 Club Car DS with the FE290 engine, it has been setting awhile and is missing the battery. Using a battery that is too big to fit in the cart for diagnosing and I am looking for recommendations. What are you using?

Found some micro switches bad and don't have any spark so ordered the micro switches and went all the way to coil to see if disconnecting kill wire would help, it did not so I have ordered a coil.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
TheHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Looking for battery recommendations

That cart uses a Group 70 battery. About 540 CA

You need to make sure you have the hold down rod that keeps the battery in place. If not the positive cable can rub against the frame and wear through.

If you order an ignition coil make sure it comes from Kawasaki. The cheapo $30 coils on Amazon don’t last long, and that’s not a coil you want to have to change again.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
TheHunter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the response, I am not having any luck finding a Group 70 battery at all and did not want to just get one from the dealer, I have been in the automotive field for over 35 years and oem is not always the best.

Anybody have any specific battery they use, Interstate, Optima or other?

As for the coil it is supposed to be here today and I just ordered a cheap one in order to diagnose the issue with the no spark, if that is the issue I will use it till it dies and certainly buy a better one.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
Thank you for the response, I am not having any luck finding a Group 70 battery at all and did not want to just get one from the dealer, I have been in the automotive field for over 35 years and oem is not always the best.

Anybody have any specific battery they use, Interstate, Optima or other?

As for the coil it is supposed to be here today and I just ordered a cheap one in order to diagnose the issue with the no spark, if that is the issue I will use it till it dies and certainly buy a better one.
Personally I prefer interstates, I have had decent luck with them.

Where did you try to find a group 70 battery? I didn't have any luck at my local battery shop. He told me it might be july before they see any in. I have a group 75 in my cart right now, and while it works fine it doesn't fit the best. Its doable, but the metal bar wont hold it in so I am using rubber tarp straps
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Any auto parts store that worth its salt can get one if they don’t have it in stock. Cart dealers should be able to get one, but most cart places are focused on battery powered carts so they usually don’t have a battery for a gas cart in stock.

Napa and Federated auto usually carry them in stock. Both of those are made by East Penn, which also makes the Deka brand which is what I run in all 8 of my gas carts.

Sams Club also should be able to get them.

A 75 will work as well, it’s just a hair wider so doesn’t fit as well in the smaller “normal” carts.
Another that can work is a 26, which is a top post battery, but there can be a clearance issue with the air filter box fitting on top of it if you have the box that sits over top of the battery.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
TheHunter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Only parts house in my town that has one is Oreilly's and it is cheap only $79 but only has a 3 month warranty so don't think it is a very good battery, going to check interstate and see if they have one. Sams club does have a 26R for $150 with 3 year warranty so probably a little better, I usually use an optima in my Jeeps but no 70 or 26, they do have a 75 but want the factory hold down to work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car