lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: why is this not talked about more?

I got my cells from crashed Leafs with very low mileage and they are in great condition. My first set is over 4 years old now with no obvious loss of capacity. My new set is too new to tell but it appears to be over 90% of original capacity. Good Leaf modules are out there but you need to trust the suppliers.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I got my cells from crashed Leafs with very low mileage and they are in great condition. My first set is over 4 years old now with no obvious loss of capacity. My new set is too new to tell but it appears to be over 90% of original capacity. Good Leaf modules are out there but you need to trust the suppliers.
The way you use them in your cart, you'll probably die of old age before they do. Of course, that's assuming you have a 4p setup and not just a single stack of 7. Even golf carts can draw over 100 amps.

Keep them from heating up and that will probably be the last battery you ever need to buy.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have a 14 module setup. I have monitored the current and peak current is almost 300 amps but cruse at 20+ mph is about 70 amps. Nothing for these modules. Most Leaf problems were due to high battery temps in climates like Phoenix in the summer. Golf carts don't push the batteries very hard - I do not do any sustained driving like you do in an EV. I get about 25 miles on a charge.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #14
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
I have a 14 module setup. I have monitored the current and peak current is almost 300 amps but cruse at 20+ mph is about 70 amps. Nothing for these modules. Most Leaf problems were due to high battery temps in climates like Phoenix in the summer. Golf carts don't push the batteries very hard - I do not do any sustained driving like you do in an EV. I get about 25 miles on a charge.
You get only 25 miles on a charge? I would have thought it would be more like 40 or 50.

14 x 500wh per module = 7kw.. assuming you're at 90%, that's 6.3kWh and you get to use all of it.

I don't drive my 2013 precedent much, just tool around on the property and the occasional trip to a friend's house 1.05 miles down the road.. but I have to wonder how far my 2 year old Trojan's would take me.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I never got close to 25 miles with my original 140AH Trojans. I only charge to 95% and I charge at 20% so I am not using all of my capacity. Four rounds of golf (5 if I push it) is great range for a pack that only weighs 110 pounds.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #16
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
I never got close to 25 miles with my original 140AH Trojans. I only charge to 95% and I charge at 20% so I am not using all of my capacity. Four rounds of golf (5 if I push it) is great range for a pack that only weighs 110 pounds.
ah, yup.. all those little things add up..

I want to convert my cart to lithium but right now is a horrible time to buy salvaged ev batteries.. Until the virus thing is over and people go back to work, the supply isn't keeping up with demand. Hate to say it, but we're going to need more people to go to the bars, get drunk, and run into trees.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What we really need is a source of good new Lithium Poly EV style batteries. It's always going to be a crap shoot buying used salvage batteries. But that is our only good option right now. I don't like any of the "drop in" stuff that is currently available. My two carts are in good shape with working Leaf packs so I am good for now.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #18
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
What we really need is a source of good new Lithium Poly EV style batteries. It's always going to be a crap shoot buying used salvage batteries. But that is our only good option right now. I don't like any of the "drop in" stuff that is currently available. My two carts are in good shape with working Leaf packs so I am good for now.
That's how I built my off grid system. 25kWh of brand new never cycled LG Chem cells that were destined for the Chevy BOLT EV.. One small mounting hole spec off and they scrapped the entire shipment.

We won't be seeing any more good EV cells until society goes back to normal.

Everything is overpriced right now and the pickings are slim.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #19
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just throwing this out there for whatever it is worth (and to hear the comments): are Chevy Volt batteries not an option for you guys? As a total newb (and with a ton of help from folks on here-I am not as smart as you guys!) I was able to make these work. It really was not that hard (again, with a ton of help from this page) and I have been happy with my setup.

Thoughts?
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sure Volt batteries are an option. Not as easy as Leaf though due to their configuration. What is the AH rating of a set of Volt cells?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car