lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Allied Lithium - 2015 EZGO Extended

Just yesterday I was able to get the 4 x 48v 30ah Allied batteries hooked up to my 2015 EZGO extended. The cart is lifted but has the factory motor and controller. The hookup in parallel could not have been easier. I cleaned up the bay a bit and dropped the batteries in (2 blanks in middle). In addition to the batteries, I ordered the 4 gauge wires and the recommended charger. Not a cheap setup, but could not be more pleased with the early results. I’m at 120ah and I can upgrade twice more @ 30ah for a total of 180ah, but at this point, I’m pretty sure I don’t need it.

So far, I’ve done 2 test runs. It’s cold here in MB this weekend, but I went 10.1 miles yesterday right after hookup and before I charged and balanced the batteries. Using the supplied volt meter, I started at 73% of charge and ended at 44%...a drop of 29% and achieved a top speed of 24mph. Using this math, I can expect to get ~35 miles, however, since the batteries hadn’t been charged out of the box yet, not putting much stock in it.

Today I did a short run of 6.1mi and the batteries were fully charged. After, the voltmeter still read 95% and I achieved a top speed of 26 mph. So using today’s number, I can expect to get 120mi on fully charged batteries - lol. I know I won’t get this by a long shot, but based on the 2 test runs, I will likely get somewhere north of 40mi, which is far more than I had hoped for. My 2 year old lead acid batteries were clunking on me after 5mi on the last run and the best run was about 16mi a year ago. And I am seeing improved acceleration too. Clearly the lithium are stronger and last longer.

I already had the step down converter for lights and accessories, so that was an easy hookup. Still using my existing analog meter, but will be swapping it out as it always shows full with the new lithium.

So far, so good.
Witherel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Allied Lithium - 2015 EZGO Extended

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0F5U...Lavy1xbTRRcarg

Pic of my setup.

Last edited by Witherel; 12-30-2020 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Photo link incorrect
Old 01-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice weather in MB today. Did another drive of 13 miles. I have the voltmeter Allied provided me connected directly to the batteries and a 2nd voltmeter I connected through the ignition (so I could run a side x side test). Allied recommends letting batteries sit for 15 min to get an accurate check on remaining battery charge. The ignition voltmeter continued to read 100% with no load at end of trip (however, under load at max speed (24-25mph), the reading started at 99% and ended trip at ~91%). The Allied voltmeter was reading 82% charge within 10 minutes of the end of trip, but was back to 100% after sitting 1 hour. So after 1 hour sitting, both voltmeters still at 100%. So far, it seems with this 120ah Allied setup that 13 miles is no big deal and a minimal drain on batteries (I did a 10mi drive a few days ago with similar results). So far so good and it seems the Allied claim of 60-75mi with this setup may be spot on. More testing to do over next couple weeks!

Footnote: at the end of the 13 miles, the voltage measured 53.4 on the battery connected voltmeter and 53.3 on the ignition connected one. Not sure what this means, but either way, the meters read 100% full...I think fully charged is 54 volts or so (I’ll need to confirm that).
Old 01-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I went for another 11.5mi ride today. The volt monitor from Allied connected directly to batteries and the volt monitor I installed through the ignition both reflected the same 87% remaining charge after letting the batteries rest a bit. Kinda similar to my other distance tests. As for this run, I could get as much as 88 miles on a full charge down to zero. Allied claims I should get 60-80 miles with this 120ah setup and it is looking like my results are in the upper end of this...pleased with these results.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Had a chance this afternoon to cruise Ocean Blvd. Sustained speeds of 24-25mph. Hit some strong winds on the return drive increasing the load on batteries. Went 24.7 miles and after letting batteries rest a bit, the volt monitor was at 70%. Pretty consistent with last run I did...looking like ~80 miles max on a full charge. More than I will use in a day. For those that are able to, lithium is the way to go. I worked it hard today at full speed and performance was good. Happy with switch to Allied lithium.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I also have Allieds AND a PQ Bandit in my Club Car. I have a place in North Myrtle Beach, fwiw.

My batteries are about a year old so I have the 4 x 12v setup (80ah). The setup I have in series was replaced by the parallel versions this past fall. Reason being the batteries were not balancing while charging. To correct this, they sent out free balancers to folks like me.

I can go about 25-30mi on a charge depending on temperature and how aggressive I drive. While I still have my stock controller, I have 2g wires and an HD solenoid. Colder weather will reduce your mileage some so FYI. I also have to do some guess work as the state of charge meter on the batteries is somewhat of a moving target as you described.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've just read about your experience with the new lithium setup. For the future it's a way to go for sure, but wondering about the bad performance of your lead acid batteries. What brand was it? My 2 years old Trojans (T1275plus) just arrived their 100% capacity after 40 loading cycles. My longest run last september with low regen braking was about 20mls and when i returned, the soc meter was showing ~75%. Not that poor as you described yours
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you need the blank batteries or can you keep some of the bays open?
Biaviian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
Joshwaa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the Allied setup and I am loving it so far. I wish I had the 26MPH speed like you do.
Joshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #10
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
Do you need the blank batteries or can you keep some of the bays open?
I have the open slots. Tie downs still work fine.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO