lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
RobbyRock1975
Not Yet Wild

Default Hyundai Golf cart to Yamaha Chain drive

Hello Everyone !

I bought a 1991 Hyundai golf cart and used the bodies from some 1970's cushman carts to make my custom ride.

I lifted in 4 inches, added a predator 420cc and comet clutch.

I did some bypass hacks to give myself a pedal start and a constant run mode as well as some security adds to disable the cart.

Stock gas tank removed and jerry can installed. ( can pull can and refill)

Shocks are from a Harley lowering kit and I added automotive shocks to the A arms and rear to increase the traction and give me more carrying capacity.

Roof rack is custom made and can support 600 pounds uptop while not beeing to scary to drive around

Top speed so far is 22 MPh.

I'm writing to the forum because I want to ditch the starter generator and I want to move to a chain drive.

The belt drive and comet clutch just cant take the dust and the electric starter motor is kinda redundant with the Predator being able to key start.

My understanding is that the Hyundai is a clone of the Yamaha G2/G9 so am I barking up the right tree with my Chain drive rear end swap?

Can I ditch the starter generator and improve my shifter to give me a safer setting for Neutral... ?

I'll get some pictures added ASAP

Thanks and my name is Robbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1942.jpg (231.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1941.jpg (227.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1943.jpg (244.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1940.jpg (233.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1939.jpg (245.0 KB, 0 views)
RobbyRock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
RobbyRock1975
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Hyundai Golf cart to Yamaha Chain drive

Oh ! K&N air filter built into the roof rack to keep it up off the ground.. IT's right below the roof.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Welcome!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:37 AM   #5
RobbyRock1975
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellas... Any ideas for my las tupgrade on this bad boy ?

I'm going to look into moving to a different build platform if I can't get the ol chain drive idea off the ground
Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Hi Rob -- welcome. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by chain drive but the torque converter is a transmission changing the ratio as needed for conditions your driving in. If you go to a chain drive this will require some kind of clutch. A centrifugal does not change the ratio - it's engaged or its not. If it slips it creates heat which in turn makes it slip more till the clutch burns out. Hope this makes sense to you.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
RobbyRock1975
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your input and let me clarify my design flaw.

- My current drive is belt off the PTO for gas and starter generator. Stock Rear.
- I fabricated and mounted my Predator motor/ starter motor mounts.

- Can I swap an encased chain driven rear end from a Yamaha g2/9 and its transmission? ( Hyundai uses same frame)

- Any issues with ditching the starter generator as the Predator has a electric starter and a battery trickle ?

I kinda taught myself small engines and welding to make this cart so I recognize my drivetrain upgrade maybe best with a body swap as my roof rack is removable...

Just retire this cart from dusty places, ya know

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyRock1975 View Post
Thank you for your input and let me clarify my design flaw.

- My current drive is belt off the PTO for gas and starter generator. Stock Rear.
- I fabricated and mounted my Predator motor/ starter motor mounts.

- Can I swap an encased chain driven rear end from a Yamaha g2/9 and its transmission? ( Hyundai uses same frame)

- Any issues with ditching the starter generator as the Predator has a electric starter and a battery trickle ?

I kinda taught myself small engines and welding to make this cart so I recognize my drivetrain upgrade maybe best with a body swap as my roof rack is removable...

Just retire this cart from dusty places, ya know

Thanks for your time.
No Yamaha uses a chain drive...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

G2/9 has gears in the trans like other carts, some rice rockets have used chain to them but they have gears and clutch, and if they pop the clutch they blow the rear. The CVT is by far the best however that does not look like a cart size clutch, the little comet 40 or whatever does not work that well if that is what it is. You need a 780 and a 1 3/16 wide belt or 1.25 can work. The secondary will only work right with that size belt. The belt should be at the bottom but not tight at rest. With 22 tires I hit 31mph on a good day with my stock G9 no governor and on any day with the all stock 420 clone no governor floating the valves. With my bolt on mods clone I hit 38 gps, with the cam in it I've hit 41 gps, but it has more power for normal stuff is what I built it for.

Most all clones except the lifan 18A are 3A charge and you have to run it a lot to charge the battery for electric start. They are intended to be on a pressure washer or lawn mower that runs 3600 for a long time. You can add another coil to double it supposedly, you can buy the flywheel and coil and VR to convert it to more amps a guy has a post in clones here to do that. The gen does 15A that is why most clones keep it.

The CVT functions as a clutch for engagement, "gears", and automatic shifting all in one. You have to put something in there if you want to replace it. Most UTV/ATV now use it because it works so well.

This just my .02, feel free to try something else if it works for you. I run a 94c comet I got a deal on, its not the smoothest at low speeds but works well otherwise.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
JRL
Gone Wild

Ditch the predator and drop in an ATV chain drive engine and live axle. Solves several issues such as: you'll have reverse, you'll get around the "gear bound" cart drive and have 50 +-- top speed. And atv's are dependable. They also have 5 or 6 speed tranny. Your Hyundai is easy to work with...mount it all on the swing arm. That resolves a of lot chain issues.
Most atv's have reverse, but some early Honda and Suzuki racers, and Yamaha 2 strokes (Banshee and 200 Blaster) don't . Ideal engine would be Suzuki 400 LTZ. Any water-cooled chain drive single will work.
Air cooled is cheaper but hard to keep cool. There are a lot of old 125, 200, 350's (Yamaha Warrior) sitting around. If you go this route, buy a complete ATV with all electronics intact. Really should be running. A non-running atv might be (probably would be) more trouble than it's worth.
4 stroke, reverse, chain drive. Prefer liquid cooled. Use the rear swing arm and axle assemble fabbed onto your swingarm. Short chain and you're off and running.
BTW, my avatar is a Hyundai g1 with a chain drive. And a ZX6 engine. There might be some old posts from 2013 or thereabouts showing the chain setup. It wasn't ideal at all.
I wanted reverse and so kept the factory Dana. It worked, but the whole thing was dangerous. Even with the cart rear would run 70. But that's 6th gear @ 8k. Redline was 13k. The rear couldn't survive much of that. Should have passed on reverse and gone live axle. Works great in open areas...not so much here in NC. It was still dangerous due to lack of suspension. My new invention got around that.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps