lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
yort
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie with a opportunity

My son and I are rebuilding a 85 club car ds. I have stumble across a Briggs and Straton engine that came off a junior dragster for $800.00. Seller says it is worth $1700 + new. Will this work in my cart, what else will I need to do? (clutch, lift, welding) I am very new to this whole cart thing. I have just ordered 6000 worth of parts, bling and body. Please advise if this will work and how much more work am I creating.

http://medicinehat.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...AdIdZ370280573
yort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie with a opportunity

I can think of about 4 good reasons not to mess with this & one or two reasons why it's a great idea.... which way do you want to be swayed?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
yort
Not Yet Wild

I really dont want to start messing with a cart that runs perfectly. I live in a small town in Canada and dont have access to suppliers and shipping can break a guy. I just saw the engine and it got me thinking. I will have about 8500 in my cart right without this engine. I am not looking to spend much more on it, but the wifey did grant me permission.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yort View Post
I really dont want to start messing with a cart that runs perfectly. I live in a small town in Canada and dont have access to suppliers and shipping can break a guy. I just saw the engine and it got me thinking. I will have about 8500 in my cart right without this engine. I am not looking to spend much more on it, but the wifey did grant me permission.
I wouldn't suggest it. The cost of the motor is just the beginning. IF it does fit in the cart, you will need much custom work to make it run. Including custom engine cradle, custom throttle and fuel supply. Maybe custom exhaust and intake too. This could spawn the need for new suspension and electronics like key switch wiring and charging system rework. The boy may not have a running cart by summers end, I know my Big Block took me a few months to get it to run and couple more to sort out some custom issues... Judging by your first few posts this is not something I suggest you try for your first build.
Like you said, this cart runs now, just enjoy fixing it up and playing around with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
yort
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advise. My brain was telling me the same thing, but the heart was leading me a stray
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are smart to ask. Lots of guys would have taken that ball and tried to run with it...... now, let the fun begin!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

JR Dragster single cylinder engines are built too radical for Golf Cart daily use, if you want to put a gas engine in it go with a Briggs twin. Just my 2 cents.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The Briggs Single would be fun for a Speed-Freak Cart,but to actually use the cart,the motor wouldn't last.They are built for quick runs,they aren't set-up for long run-times.You can set up a nice V-Twin setup for under 3grand with a new motor and all new bolt-in mounts,linkage,exhaust,etc..Cheaper if you do some bargain-hunting and buy some used stuff(We've bought 16hp Briggs Twins for $100 and run the heck out of them).Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Does your wife have a sister who's single????
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
yort
Not Yet Wild

No single sister, but her mother is (gag)!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!