lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 PM   #1
Golfcartadam
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Medalist 36v Works Sometimes and Sometimes Doesn’t.

Medalist works normally and then randomly when I switch to F or R it barely moves and just hums. I will keep switching to Forward/Reverse and it just keeps humming. I usually have to turn it off for 5 mins and then it will work again.

Also, when I floor the pedal from a stop it’s like it can’t handle the acceleration. It will start cutting back until I let off of the pedal some.

Also I have seen smoke come from the controller area a few times. Does this mean my co troller is burnt up?

Any advice would be helpful.
Golfcartadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Medalist 36v Works Sometimes and Sometimes Doesn’t.

to me it actually sounds like an issue with the ITS or the connector between it and the controller. its happened to many of us that have older carts.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:19 PM   #3
Golfcartadam
Not Yet Wild

I’ve actually replaced the its and calibrated it correctly I think. When you say connector… is that like a wire going for. The it’s to controller?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2023, 08:41 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfcartadam View Post
I’ve actually replaced the its and calibrated it correctly I think. When you say connector… is that like a wire going for. The it’s to controller?

Thanks
YES.....there is a 4 wire connector (molex connector)

between the ITS and controller. its easy to get them wet and/or some corrosion in the connection as its under the cart, lots of people delete it and made it a hardwired connection. IF in fact that is your issue.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
Golfcartadam
Not Yet Wild

I have attached some pictures.

After following the wiring from its to controller it looks as if there is a 6 pin connector instead of a moles connector.

Also I mentioned there was smoke coming from the controller along with humming. I noticed the resistor looks somewhat melted. Does this help troubleshoot anything?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That would be a DCS drive cart. If the resistor looks like it has been hot that usually is a sign of the solenoid failing. Other problem with the DCS is it doesn’t like low voltage and that usually cooks it hence the melting.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:47 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If smoke is coming out of the controller I think you found your issue. Once you let the smoke out it won't work for much longer. If this is a DCS cart that controller was trash and fails often. The resistor getting red hot on the solenoid is partly due to either shorted or failing capacitors inside the controller (possibly where the smoke is coming from)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #8
Golfcartadam
Not Yet Wild

I took it around the neighborhood today. I went down a big hill and picked up quite a bit of speed and then it rolled to a stop. All it would do is hum when pushing the pedal down and smoke came from the controller area. I had to wait about 5 minutes before it would move again.

I replaced the solenoid about 4 months ago with a cheap one on eBay.
Also each battery has 6.1v for a total of 36.7v.

Should I try a heavy duty solenoid? Or maybe a smaller resister?
Old 03-27-2023, 07:45 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

36.7V at the pack is literally 20% or less State-of-charge and DCS era cars had no low voltage protection which means EOL'd controller and that smoke is probably the result of low voltage and you're killing it.

At full charge your pack voltage should be hovering around ~ 39-40V.

Cheap doesn't = good. You get what you pay for. In fact, I'd wager you probably got a 'starting solenoid' that's designed not for constant duty like on a golf car and more appropriate for starting a truck. It won't last long if that's the case. If I had a dollar for the many instances of discovering a 12V Ford Solenoid instead of the appropriate 36V one in a golf car, I'd be rich.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:16 PM   #10
Golfcartadam
Not Yet Wild

I charged it up to ≈ 39v I still had trouble getting it to move in forward/reverse. It just hummed. After a couple of minutes I got it to move. I took it around the neighborhood and it made it all the way (2.5miles) it would run at about 8 mph and I experienced some bucking. It would move fast for a few seconds about 13-14 mph and the back to 8mph. I also smelled smoke coming from under the seats while this bucking was occurring. Whenever I made it back I noticed the smoke was coming from one of the main cables(melting) going to the negative of the battery pack.

I’ve attached pics of the solenoid I purchased and the melted/smoking cable.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3BDC0F1E-3836-4B9A-865B-8AEC8C50C523.jpg (87.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5A1ABB40-859B-4666-B852-806FC83DFAE4.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)

Tags
36v, ezgo, medalist
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO