lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Default Simple question, hard answer

I have a 2010 precedent with a stock curtis controller. I have 50 volts at the batteries, at full throttle I am only getting 30 volts to the motor..

Hooked up my hand set and under load I am at 46 volts and the cart runs 13MPH

I show 100% throttle but only 75% PWM. Should this be 100% as well? The PWM seems to be consistent up to the 75% throttle/PWM mark
brokebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2023, 02:49 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Simple question, hard answer

Sounds like your controller is speed limited to 14mph. That's how most golf carts are programmed.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Voltage at the motor is usually not something you can just measure with a sepex motor. The field current is what ultimately determines speed of the motor on those, and the armature current will be limited as well by the controller.

Kinda seems like it's doing what it's supposed to, but you can check the green cable that comes from the B+ terminal to the A1 stud on the motor and make sure it is clean and free of corrosion.
I've seen a few of those melt at the controller because of people driving them with low battery voltage. Any heat damage or discoloration of the cable or the ring terminals will cause power loss.
Check both cables from the motor for damage.
Also check the controller terminals for any evidence of heat damage or melting of the case around the terminals.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:54 AM   #4
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

This is the same cart as the gear noise. So last year I installed a D&D motor, I swear this cart ran 16-18 before it got messed up again. Because of the gear noise I was trying to drive it a bit to see if the would "wear in" but when I went to drive it, it was a pig. The controller is programed to s3 which is 14.8 MPH I am assuming the batteries being a little on the softer side is why I am at 13. Just thinking with the motor and gears it would be faster.. Gonna have to burn this one, its making me angry!
Old 03-23-2023, 08:07 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokebuggy View Post
This is the same cart as the gear noise. So last year I installed a D&D motor, I swear this cart ran 16-18 before it got messed up again. Because of the gear noise I was trying to drive it a bit to see if the would "wear in" but when I went to drive it, it was a pig. The controller is programed to s3 which is 14.8 MPH I am assuming the batteries being a little on the softer side is why I am at 13. Just thinking with the motor and gears it would be faster.. Gonna have to burn this one, its making me angry!
I think you just answered your own question. You said it was programmed for S3 14.6mph. Your getting 13mph with a voltage sag of 46 volts under load. That sag is probably the difference.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #6
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Ok so I replaced the rear end for my other problem. Without the high speed gears I dropped to 10MPH. Found I could roll the cart with no resistance so changed the speed sensor annnddd..... yep still 10MPH, new sensor no beep or resistance while pushing. Swapped out the controller and ahhhhh 17 MPH. Done sending the turd on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car