lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2023, 07:40 AM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Cheap lithium option

Anyone heard of these guys? Looks interesting. If it lives up to the spec sheet it could be a good low cost lithium option for those folks with a stock golf cart that want lithium, but don’t want to spend $2k and only use the cart a few miles per day around the neighborhood or campsite.

Says $849 for a 48v 27aH battery (cheaper than a FLA pack) and is good for 8-12 miles and rated at 150A continuous, 500A peak. Must be using 6C cells.

This is, of course assuming it performs at or even near their spec sheet but definitely looks like an interesting option

https://lithiumhub.com/lithium-deep-...art-batteries/
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cheap lithium option

https://lithiumhub.com/product/48-vo...thium-battery/

The one fellow at the above link gave it 3 stars....and then went on to state how great it was and how the customer support was great. His negative comments were his credit card got charged in Feb but he didn't get the battery until June....that and no instructions for it.

Looks like a start up company (well...on Amazon they have reviews from 2019) that's doing their best to get recognized and get their product to market.

Appears to me that time will tell.....
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

They likely use high c rate cells like these inside..
https://batteryhookup.com/products/u...ifepo4-battery

or possibly some other variant like the 18650 cells.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Cheap Lithium Option" and anything that is cheaper involves some compromise. Anything using lots of 18650 cells needs to be very carefully designed so that the high currents spread evenly across the cells. Many times, the pack isn't built to do that properly. I have experience with Ebike batteries made with these cells and I have read several good books about how to design a pack correctly. I would shy away from packs like this for a golf cart.
Tesla spent lots of time designing their original packs that used THOUSANDS of these cells. Each cell was connected with a Fuse Wire to take failed cells out of the circuit. They had enough of them that a few bad ones didn't ruin the pack.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:22 AM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Cheap Lithium Option" and anything that is cheaper involves some compromise. Anything using lots of 18650 cells needs to be very carefully designed so that the high currents spread evenly across the cells. Many times, the pack isn't built to do that properly. I have experience with Ebike batteries made with these cells and I have read several good books about how to design a pack correctly. I would shy away from packs like this for a golf cart.
Tesla spent lots of time designing their original packs that used THOUSANDS of these cells. Each cell was connected with a Fuse Wire to take failed cells out of the circuit. They had enough of them that a few bad ones didn't ruin the pack.
I agree with you here but I see there are packs like the epoch trolling motor/golf cart battery that are made from 18650 cells. To me theres too much risk for problems. I dont care for any design that parallels battery cells together with only one bms sensor for the lot..

I am happy with my "cheap" diy 90ah pack for under a grand but I wont really have a great idea of battery life for a while. I drove it around for about a half hour last week when it was sunny and Im impressed so far. The compromise there is having to assemble myself and no warranty if thats a thing someone wants.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The issue with paralleling cells is doing the math on how much current each nickel strap is going to see. It's easy to overlook this and then the current doesn't split evenly across the paralleled cells. It isn't a trivial exercise and it's often overlooked when designing a high current parallel pack.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Spec sheet for the golf cart batteries says it’s prismatic. https://lithiumhub.com/wp-content/up...48v27specs.pdf

There is a compromise… being that it’s only a 27aH battery. But, I’d say based on what I had experienced with 2 allieds at 60aH (before I added a 3rd) I got 25-30 miles range. So I’d say their 8-12 mile estimate for 27aH is probably about right.

Personally, We take enough long drives that one of these batteries wouldn’t work for me, I’d need at least 2 of them. But I see posts from a lot of people that say they need batteries, they’re interested in lithium but don’t want to spend $2k plus on a pack because they only drive it 1-2 miles per day in a campground or whatever. I think something like this might fit the bill, and be cheaper than a set of Trojans.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:48 PM   #8
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

I wouldn't consider that cheap, considering you need at least two if not 3, but that is my opinion. I'm also on the look out for Lithium as that's my next move as well. My buddy uses them for trolling motor batteries and has been pleased.
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:50 PM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman24 View Post
I wouldn't consider that cheap, considering you need at least two if not 3, but that is my opinion. I'm also on the look out for Lithium as that's my next move as well.
You only need one for 8-12 miles a day not 2 that's the point. For 27ah this battery doesn't have the very low current limit most smaller packs of its size would have.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #10
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
You only need one for 8-12 miles a day not 2 that's the point. For 27ah this battery doesn't have the very low current limit most smaller packs of its size would have.
Gotcha, i overlooked the short travel
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car