lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2023, 07:57 PM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Need Recomendations- 48V bateries

Have an upgraded series cart. 48V , Alltrax Controller, plum quick motor,

Need new batteries. what will be the best option for better range. Currently the cart runs great for a short period of time but seems to lose power and range after little use.

Local shop suggest napa batteries, but thinking we need something a little better. maybe the US battery ? I see they offer a few different levels of AH ratings
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2023, 08:25 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Need Recomendations- 48V bateries

6 x 8V is better than 4 x 12V for range.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Best names in batteries are Trojan, Crown, US or Napa type... Honestly the best battery is the one that is used and maintained properly. A good smart charger is another part of good batteries. GL
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:32 PM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Are you replacing the lithium leaf batteries you have now in your signature? if so what is the actual voltage of that pack?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:39 AM   #5
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Are you replacing the lithium leaf batteries you have now in your signature? if so what is the actual voltage of that pack?
No- My leaf pack is still doing great and gives excellent range.

This is a family members cart. The batteries they have now seem to lose power/range after a short period of time

Just don't want to cheap out on new batteries and have same issue. The napas are priced pretty good at $830 with tax for a new set

and yes, it is set up for (6) 8V batteries now
Old 03-16-2023, 08:37 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Well google says the Napa brand are really "Deka" brand batteries made by East Penn manufacturing so you could research those.. I think they would be a decent option though. I agree with Scotty on this one. The best battery is the best maintained battery.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

I just checked what is installed now, and it is a battery called "golden eagle". I noticed it was 150 AH rating so definitely lower than most of the other options I have seen. They are probably 5 years old but still test good voltage

THe napa appears to be a 165 AH rating. Is that a significant enough increase or should we explore high amp hour rated batteries? Appears to be a pretty steep price increase for the higher AH rated batteries. It looks like US battery and Trojan both start at 170 AH
Old 03-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Before you commit to new batteries have you checked your batteries with a tester and do you have a power reducer permanently wired up in this cart that stays on drawing from the battery all the time. These things will affect the battery life of of what you have now.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #9
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
I just checked what is installed now, and it is a battery called "golden eagle". I noticed it was 150 AH rating so definitely lower than most of the other options I have seen. They are probably 5 years old but still test good voltage

THe napa appears to be a 165 AH rating. Is that a significant enough increase or should we explore high amp hour rated batteries? Appears to be a pretty steep price increase for the higher AH rated batteries. It looks like US battery and Trojan both start at 170 AH
Alot of this depends on the use of the cart. If they are just short trips and the user does not mind plugging it in then the extra capacity becomes a mute point.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Also don't make the mistake of thinking that because your cart sits in the garage plugged into a charger that it is topped off if it's been. Sitting for a week or 2 once the charger shuts off, Typically with most energy requirement meeting chargers, it does not turn back on to retop off the battery without recycling the power to the charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO