lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2023, 06:51 AM   #1
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Eco 105 through hole

Hi all, I'm in the process of putting in an eco battery kit in my 2011 club car precedent. The kit comes with a voltage reducer which I mounted in the battery compartment and a fuse block. My cart has the deluxe light kit with the typical reducer mounted up under the front. I'm wondering if I hook the lights wires up to the new reducer under the seat with the lights still work as normal with 12 volts being sent out To the old set up?
hunter1s1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Eco 105 through hole

Where did the original wires connect to on the battery is the 1st thing we need to determine.

If you are saying you have wires coming to the battery compartment but the existing reducer was not installed in the battery compartment but instead somewhere up in the front of the cart that leads me to believe the leads in the battery compartment likely went to your original pack voltage and if you want to use that reducer you need to hook it up off the pack voltage leads on the new eco battery.

The pack will not care if you are running two reducers off it so you could continue to run the one up front for the stock wired options and then use the new one to power any additional features you add in the future.

Sorry if none of what I said applies to what you are asking I am having trouble following what you are asking.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:40 AM   #3
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The wires to the lights were connected to the 48 volt pack . I was wondering if I hook them up to the new reducer/fuse block would the lights work with 12 volts going out or would the old reducer not work with 12 volts going to it?
Old 03-09-2023, 07:55 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1s1k View Post
The wires to the lights were connected to the 48 volt pack . I was wondering if I hook them up to the new reducer/fuse block would the lights work with 12 volts going out or would the old reducer not work with 12 volts going to it?
I think I know what your asking but not sure why you would want to do it?.

The reducer takes the 48v and reduces it to 12v it doesnt care if its wired to the 48v terminals of a pack of 6 8v batteries or if its wired to the terminals of 16 3.2v batteries in the 48v eco pack..

You do not want to "power" a reducer with 12v thats already been reduced down by another reducer already. Not only is it pointless and may not work it will use unnecessary power for redundant things. and thats if the two reducers dont interfere with each other and possibly cause damage..

In your case its really better to just run 48v to the old reducer, or remove the old reducer all together.

if it were my cart id just hold on to the new reducer as a spare.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #5
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Augie, I will hook up to the pack set up the new one with fuse box for future add-ons.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:22 AM   #6
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I wasn't sure exactly how to eliminate the old reducer and get power to the lights. From what I remember the upgrade deluxe light kit was plug and play.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
Davids29
Not Yet Wild

The factory voltage reducer is a resistor that drops the voltage from 16 volts to 12 volts. The factory lights should have been wired to 2 of the original 6 batteries. If you have aftermarket lights, then it depends what kit you have. You may have a DC-DC converter already in there somewhere. If not, you're likely to blow out all your bulbs as soon as you hit the lights.

If you have the factory style reducer, there are 2 plugs under the dash in the lighting wiring harness. They are about 3-6" apart from each other on the same harness with the same connectors. You can disconnect and remove the middle section, as that has some wires that run to the front where the reducer is mounted to reduce the voltage for the lighting circuit.
Davids29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

sounds like your best option is to remove the original reducer and go with the new one for everything.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
hunter1s1k
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids29 View Post
The factory voltage reducer is a resistor that drops the voltage from 16 volts to 12 volts. The factory lights should have been wired to 2 of the original 6 batteries. If you have aftermarket lights, then it depends what kit you have. You may have a DC-DC converter already in there somewhere. If not, you're likely to blow out all your bulbs as soon as you hit the lights.

If you have the factory style reducer, there are 2 plugs under the dash in the lighting wiring harness. They are about 3-6" apart from each other on the same harness with the same connectors. You can disconnect and remove the middle section, as that has some wires that run to the front where the reducer is mounted to reduce the voltage for the lighting circuit.
When I first got the cart it was pulling off 2 batteries, like you said. I added a "deluxe light kit". It came with the reducer, turn single lever and brake light kit. It's been a few years since I did that. So by removing that middle section of connectors, I can eliminate the old reducer?
Old 03-09-2023, 03:54 PM   #10
Davids29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1s1k View Post
When I first got the cart it was pulling off 2 batteries, like you said. I added a "deluxe light kit". It came with the reducer, turn single lever and brake light kit. It's been a few years since I did that. So by removing that middle section of connectors, I can eliminate the old reducer?
I would think so. It depends on the kit you installed. I have seen some advertised as 12-48v kits. I assume the LED controller boards in these can just accept any voltage up to 60 volts or so and drive the LED's as needed. I wonder if that's what you have? If you're running it on strait 48V now, I would think it'll work on the lithium battery too.
Davids29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car