lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Default Smokey smelly F/R selector

Quick question for hive. I Recently installed a conversion kit from Carts Unlimited (hoping ScottyB might chime in here), install went great. A couple days ago we started occasionally getting a weird smell, not quite burning wires smell but definitely “electrical” in nature. I tried tracking down the source but couldn’t find it. Finally one day my son said smoke came from the fwd/rvs selector. I still couldn’t find any burned wires. I double check all connections and found one of my motor posts nuts loose (I think it was S2). Drove the cart up and down the road for 15 min and nothing.

My question is could, or how, a loose motor stud nut cause the fwd/rvs selector to smoke?
Coondawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #2
Coondawgg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Smokey smelly F/R selector

UPDATE…

My son stated he saw some arcing in the F/R selector. Going to take it off today and make sure there’s not gaps in the connectors. Just hoping someone has some insight into what might be causing this.
Coondawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The loose motor connection caused a lot of heat and if the F&R failed at the other end of this cable the loose motor nut was the cause. Replace the switch and tighten all the connections being careful not the spin the motor studs. Use a wrench on the bottom and the top nut when snugging them down.
Also reasonably tight not over tight is correct. I have seen motor studs shear off when tightened up like a lug nut.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Not sure that a loose connection at the motor would cause the FNR to heat up, but If there's a loose connection at the FNR switch that could definitely cause it to smoke. Probably a good idea to check ALL of the cable connections and make sure they're properly tightened.
These FNR switches need to be all the way in position when the cart is being driven. If its not pushed all the way it can arc and will cause it to burn.

Also If the cables to the FNR are pulled too tight (not enough slack) to allow for full motion of the selector it can cause the switch to unseat while the cart is under power, and that will cause partial contact which can cause heat and make it melt and/or smoke.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts