lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2023, 09:07 PM   #1
tastyramencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Lightbulb 48v batteries into 110v inverter as alternative to gas generator?

Been looking to get a generator for hurricane proofing my Florida home. Was looking into some battery packs for powering smaller devices but was thinking, why would I buy any batteries when my garage is full of golf carts with batteries. Made me think about what's capable, and ran into some 48v to 110v inverters.

Has anyone used 48v to 110v inverters like this one as an emergency backup for home electronics? https://www.amazon.com/WZRELB-Reliab.../dp/B0154C5F3A ?

Furthermore, could something more beefy like this run to a transfer switch and have capability to run a refrigerator (for example) in an outage?https://www.sigineer.com/product/600...attery-backup/

If anyone's done any research I'm all ears! Thanks.
tastyramencart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2023, 09:21 PM   #2
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v batteries into 110v inverter as alternative to gas generator?

my friend used his golf cart and a pure sine wave inverter to power his gas furnace for 4 hours during a recent outage.
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 05:25 AM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’m in Australia with 230v and I have a 2500w 48v to 230v pure sine wave inverter mounted permanently in my cart. I usually use it for maintenance work around my property but just last week we had no power during a switchboard upgrade and it powered one commercial fridge, one uptight freezer and one domestic fridge/freezer for 3 hours without any problems. Could have gone for many more hours. I do have 120Ah lithium batteries though.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:41 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Yes people have done this, its even becoming a poplular thing with electric car owners. my old lead acid batteries that were in my golf cart before I installed the lithium yesterday were actually originally from my campers solar system, I removed them when I upgraded that to lithium last year.

ive even seen some leave these installed inside the cart for portable ac power..

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518...d=0W9qBkCix5XY
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have the 230v version of that exact inverter Augiedoggy but I couldn’t fit it under the seat so I had to go for the lower profile 2500w version.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #6
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

On my old solar powered 36v TXT I installed a 30 amp 360w 36-12v converter which ran a small 400w 12v inverter. I used it in Florida during outages to run tv's, fans and the neighbor's C-pap machine, and the 250w solar roof would do a pretty good job keeping the batteries full while running basic loads. It was a work cart, and I could run small power tools on it also. If it was a 48v cart I would have just went with a larger 48v inverter, but 36v'ers are harder to come by. My new cart is a 48v lithium so...

I've got solar backup on my shed with a big inverter, and the biggest cost is the batteries. A golf cart is basically a rolling battery, so it makes sense to give it double duty and just plug it into the shed when not using it. I built a "cart port" on the back of the shed to fit a golf cart and John Deere. More solar panels will be going on the roof of the cart port to add to the 750w on the main shed roof. When/if done I shouldn't need to use my genny much.

As far as the size of the inverter you will need to run a fridge, the first one you linked should do fine. Both of my fridges each use about 200w with the compressor running, about 40w otherwise. When the compressor kicks on they might see ~800w for a split second, so even a 1000w continuous/2000w peak should have no problem running one, or two if they don't kick on at the same exact time.

I thought about adding an automatic transfer switch in the shed or house, but since I only use it for emergencies I didn't see the need. I was looking at one on Amazon in the $110 range and it would be an easy addition.

Excuse the mess, still recovering from Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shed.jpg (361.2 KB, 0 views)
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarRat View Post
A golf cart is basically a rolling battery, so it makes sense to give it double duty
Makes a lot of sense actually if you have roof top solar.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:14 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Makes a lot of sense actually if you have roof top solar.
*****... now you've convinced me to install and onboard inverter.... lol
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:54 PM   #9
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

With the very high cycle life of LiFePO4, most batteries will deteriorate due to calendar ageing (time related ageing) as opposed to cyclic ageing (usage related ageing) so why not put them to good use when they're just sitting there doing nothing except ageing.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:29 PM   #10
tastyramencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Appreciate everyone's responses, I picked up a 1500w inverter and my plan is to wrig it up before this hurricane season. I really like the idea of the solar power + inverter combo as this could really be an apocalypse mobile!
tastyramencart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!