lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
HoleIn12
Not Yet Wild

Default Bluetooth shunt battery monitors

Hey…

I have read (and believe) the state of charge on the display can be very inaccurate. I recently had all AGM battery ones replaced for warranty and still showing what seems to be excessively low SOC on the display.. on two different days I had the following results from the display and manually doing voltage check/SOC chart.

Wondering if anyone has used one of the Bluetooth shunt battery monitors and are they with the money? Do you get a different result than your display?

Day 1–
Start: 51.5v
7.4mi at 67% on display
Immediate voltage check @ 50.1v
40 mins rest @ 50.5… about 91% according to chart

Day 2–
Start: 52.1v
10.1mi at 64% on display
Immediate voltage check @ 50.0
40 mins rest @ 50.3… about 85% according to chart

SOC chart: https://octopusasia.com/battery-soc-to-voltage-chart/

Thanks
HoleIn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2023, 09:39 PM   #2
AdamP
Getting Wild

Default Re: Bluetooth shunt battery monitors

I use this one I have Lithium but you probably can check for lead acid or agm works great https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BMV-7...2-8997e41410bb
AdamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Yes the shunt style meters are the most accurate. I used to use them with lead acid batteries back when I used lead acid for solar power in my camper. many of them are completely programmable and some even "learn" after completing a full charge and use cycle on the batteries. The renogy model is very popular here for carts.

You will get different reading at idle after resting than under load with a voltage meter, thats normal. I believe you should always go by the voltage your getting before it rises during the rest and gives you a misleading reading. Even with all that a voltage based meter will only be accurate enough for a ballpark.
My father in law complains of this all the time.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
HoleIn12
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the inputs… I opted out for now and just go by voltage as the voltage display seems to be accurate (minus decimals).

I built a programming cable and the computer currently gives me 96% SOC while the display gives 86%. Weird, you would think the display some read exactly what it is being told. I would think possibly dirty wires, corrosion etc etc but this cart is just shy of a year old, never rained on or washed with hose, garage kept in sunny Nevada. So I would think that yet but have seen stranger things…

Anyone know any of the battery settings to adjust to possibly make this more accurate?

Thanks
HoleIn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon