lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
kevin588127
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 ezgo txt 36v running on 48

I have a 2000 ezgo txt that I'd like to get a bit more performance out of. It currently has an alltrax 48500, hd solenoid, FNR contactor and 2 ga cabling. It has 22" tires and a slight lift. It gets used at various camping spots, mainly at motocross tracks so it climbs hills with 4 passengers. In it's current 36v LA configuration it gets the job done but range isn't great. I am looking to go with a bolt or EB 48v 105 ah setup. A couple of questions:

Has anyone else done this and were you pleased with the results?

I know I will be shortening the lifespan of the stock motor. When replacement is required, is there a drop in motor that is meant to operate at 48v for this year cart or will I be stuck with another stock 36v motor.

I would be willing to turn dial the speed back if that will save the motor. My main goal is extending range and gaining a bit of speed on hill climbs. Currently the cart runs about 17mph on flat and about 10-13 mph up hills.

Anything else I'm missing?
kevin588127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2023, 06:40 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 ezgo txt 36v running on 48

If you have an AMD brand motor it should run just fine on 48 volts as long as you don't exceed 6000 RPM. So that said, don't have the pedal to the metal going downhill. Also keep in mind volts equals speed (RPM) and lithium has more volts after a full charge. A good option would be to have Plum Quick do the Bandit upgrade on the motor, that alone will increase your torque by 25%. I think the current price on the Bandit is $325 plus shipping.

Another option is to convert to a modern AC drive like Navitas and you'll have a motor that can safely spin to 9000 RPM which you'll never see on anything less than 72 volts. That will give you all the speed and torque you'll ever need on 48 volts. Sell all old the parts from the 36 volt DC setup to offset the cost of upgrading to AC. It's a nice system that doesn't have a commutator or brushes to maintain.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:06 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Cart. Lenny is offering good advice. Depending upon your "need for speed" you can stick with the less costly just drop in\upgrade your battery pack to lithium, and have all the benefits of no terminal and watering maintenance, plus no need to charge after every "run 'n done".

And (I know I shouldn't say this as I'll Jinx it) I've been running my D&D high torque motor for 14 years and have never done anything to it. (Frankly, I'm concerned that when it goes bad, it may just have morphed itself to the axle and never be able to pop off!!)

So....you got options!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:15 AM   #4
kevin588127
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. Top speed is really not a concern. Most cases, I think 20+ mph will be too fast for the area I'm using it in. How do you know if you have an amd motor? Prior to doing any mods, the plumb quick bandit upgrade was on my list. I just wanted to get everything else upgraded first and see how it performed. I wasn't really ready to go lithium but it seems that the tech is coming around and the pros outweigh the cons for me. The slightly higher voltage of a lithium pack was kind of what had me concerned as well.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Look for a label on the motor. AMD= Advanced Motors & drives.

Alltrax has an optional on the dash control (FN1) for controlling speed and I think the newer units have bluetooth. Navitas has a dash mounted control plus bluetooth for your phone included in the upgrade for controlling speed, torque and regen braking plus you can lock in the settings.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:44 PM   #6
kevin588127
Not Yet Wild

I do have the AMD motor. I also have the FN1 control. Using it now to keep the speed down if the kids drive it. Did a little playing around with the alltrax data logging feature tonight. This thing draws much more than I would have thought. Looks like I'm going to have to go with a 105 ah battery.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:50 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You will love the cart on lithium. It'll weigh less and have less voltage sag so it'll accelerate much better. Plus you'll get better range.

You will also likely see less amperage draw IF you drive the same way. Higher voltages mean you need less amps to do the same work because Watts = Volts * amps. I'd still go with the 105ah instead of a smaller one.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:15 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart will lose approximately 30% of its weight when converted to lithium. This will reduce the motor workload and that should increase motor life. Increased voltage is okay for this motor. However in most cases we find increase voltage can reduce motor life. So these 2 things increasing and reducing motor life may be a wash. There are several options for aftermarket 48v compatible motors which put out much more horsepower than the stock 2.5 hp motor. This is a good option. See Admiral motors at most RH dealers and PQ motor options online.
These are good options without junking your whole system to upgrade. I have a client who is running the stock Ezgo series motor on 48v for 10 years now.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:36 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin588127 View Post
I do have the AMD motor. I also have the FN1 control. Using it now to keep the speed down if the kids drive it. Did a little playing around with the alltrax data logging feature tonight. This thing draws much more than I would have thought. Looks like I'm going to have to go with a 105 ah battery.
remember more voltage means less current drawnfor same output through the controller... This means with a 48v battery you may find your amp load might even drop.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:07 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Buy as many AH as your wallet can part with
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!