lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
gofast67
Gone Wild

Default Columbia brakes wet from gear oil

Hello, I am working on a columbia utility vehicle. Has anyone ever changed an axle seal before? This one is leaking bad into the brake shoe area and drum. I will try to post a couple pics. Just wanna know how to get to the seal. One pic looks like the seal is in the center section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230210_124138.jpg (232.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230210_120921.jpg (209.9 KB, 0 views)
gofast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2023, 04:21 PM   #2
gofast67
Gone Wild

Default Re: Columbia brakes wet from gear oil

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20230210_145043.jpeg (503.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg Resized_20230210_145149.jpeg (543.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

See other thread, anything mounted on the shaft itself isn't available as a stand alone part other than brake shoes or wheel cylinder rebuild kit.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #4
gofast67
Gone Wild

So I'm trying to get some clarity on this rear end. Is the oil seal in the center section? Is it to prevent any gear oil out to the axle and bearing,or is there another seal somewhere else? I do see an o ring seal by the end of axle shaft. I don't want to tear into the center section if I don't need to. Thank you
Old 02-12-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The seal in the differential is the oil seal that does leak. Have to pull the shaft and tube out to access it and replace it. The tube is supposed to be dry inside, and the diff oil tends to leak down the tube, and into the brake cavity.

If the pistons leak, it looks the same too, so either leak will look like your photos. Both were extremely common and most repairs end up being to replace the shaft and seal at the same time otherwise you just go back in and do double the labor.

As far as tearing into the center section, you aren't really going into it other than removing the 5 bolts from the shaft to access that seal which pulls out from the outside.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NKL Gearbox Seal Replacement.pdf (742.2 KB, 0 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts