lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2023, 07:54 AM   #31
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: fe290 rev limiter disconnected?

To avoid any confusion I threw the clutch back on and took a couple more pics. To me it is still looking like the Drive clutch isn't closing all the way. It now appears to "jerk" closed, instead of a smooth slide in, which I did not notice before. It will go a bit, stop, go a bit more, stop, then finally get to where its closed as far as the pics. Not smooth operation, maybe I messed it up when I was trying to get it apart?

couple pics of it. They aren't much different than the last pictures:
-shows where the belt rests not running/where it has wore on the clutch
-next two pics are showing the belt height on the clutch(es) while running (full speed)
-fourth pic is showing how far the drive clutch closes when running
-last pic is just a better pic of the driven clutch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image[7].jpg (87.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image[6].jpg (64.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image[5].jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image[4].jpg (49.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image[9].jpg (83.5 KB, 0 views)
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #32
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Again, if it were mine I’d replace them both. I used a 97+ driven clutch and replaced the spring with my old one so it’s clocked the right way. Then be done with it.

But it’s your cart, do what you want with it. :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #33
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The driven clutch isn't opening up all of the way!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:59 AM   #34
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
The driven clutch isn't opening up all of the way!
I see that. I am guessing it is a result of the drive clutch not closing all of the way? regardless I can't get my original drive clutch apart at the moment.... so i ordered a new drive clutch to at least eliminate one of my issues (all signs are pointing to drive clutch anyways)

if not my issue I will start on the driven but i'm assuming based on what i understand about thse belt drives is that the driven clutch isnt opening due to the drive clutch not closing
Old 03-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #35
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
To avoid any confusion I threw the clutch back on and took a couple more pics. To me it is still looking like the Drive clutch isn't closing all the way. It now appears to "jerk" closed, instead of a smooth slide in, which I did not notice before. It will go a bit, stop, go a bit more, stop, then finally get to where its closed as far as the pics. Not smooth operation, maybe I messed it up when I was trying to get it apart?
Based on all these above issues (and the rust you mentioned earlier), you won't be going wrong with a new drive clutch on that engine. Operation should be smooth and predictable and all the way closed. You are giving up several MPH by not having that belt shifting all the way to the highest ratio possible.

There could also be issues with the driven clutch sticking at partway open, but you'll know that for sure when you get that drive clutch replaced and test again.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:59 AM   #36
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Bob View Post
Based on all these above issues (and the rust you mentioned earlier), you won't be going wrong with a new drive clutch on that engine. Operation should be smooth and predictable and all the way closed. You are giving up several MPH by not having that belt shifting all the way to the highest ratio possible.

There could also be issues with the driven clutch sticking at partway open, but you'll know that for sure when you get that drive clutch replaced and test again.
Thats my plan of attack for now

One of my work benches has a plywood top and the rust ran out of the clutch like real fine dark brown sand and got into the wood and essentially stained my bench top. even after i swept it off and blew it off with the air compressor, i'm sure all that stuff bouncing around inside the clutch isn't great on it
Old 03-22-2023, 02:57 PM   #37
JckDanls 07
Not Yet Wild

I tried and tried and tried to open my drive clutch... never could get it open
JckDanls 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #38
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
Thats my plan of attack for now

One of my work benches has a plywood top and the rust ran out of the clutch like real fine dark brown sand and got into the wood and essentially stained my bench top. even after i swept it off and blew it off with the air compressor, i'm sure all that stuff bouncing around inside the clutch isn't great on it
Sounds like a good plan. You gave it your best, but the clutch is not cooperating. so the best you can do is purchase a new one.

Good Luck,
Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:13 AM   #39
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post
I tried and tried and tried to open my drive clutch... never could get it open
well that makes me feel a little better. I'm going to mess with it but in the mean time I just ordered one so I can drive my cart!
Old 03-28-2023, 07:57 AM   #40
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

With the old clutch on (the one i couldn't get open) and zip tied I could get 16 before rev limiter would kick in.

New chinese clutch finally showed up yesterday. Put it on and its a little jerky upon takeoff but seemed to close the whole way. After adjusting zip ties again I was getting 21 mph around 3800 RPMS.

I have attached a couple pictures of the new clutch running towards the top as well as the driven clutch during operation (neutral, in garage) and it appears my driven clutch is not opening all the way either.

Do the driven clutches just need springs replaced/are they easily rebuilt? I planned on pulling it off once I figure out how big of a pain it is to fix them when they don't open up (if anyone has any idea)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch12.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg clutch13.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car