lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #1
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Default 2019 Columbia Journeyman - 2 Flashes

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I have been on, and I am in need of your expert help again!

I picked up two non-running 2019 Columbia Journeyman carts that are super cool, but I am having trouble getting them running. For anyone who does not know the Journeyman, it ilooks like a commercial version of the Tomberlin E-Merge, as lots of the parts appear to be interchangable, and it is marketed for commercial use.

I will start with the first cart:

Car #1
The Symptom:* I turn on the key, and the speedometer/odometer lights up.* The headlights, tail lights, blinkers, horn all work.* The brake light works fine as well.* Initially I hear the solenoid click in and have a solid green light on the controller (Borg Warner Gen4, 48V, 450A, model 634A44119), but when I press the accelerator, it immediately goes to 2 green flashes.* The vehicle does not move at all.* All of the accessories continue to work fine. This is apparanttly known as an “illegal start condition”, so something that is supposed to give the controller is not doing its job.

The battery pack is fresh, and charged to 53V.
The charger interlock is giving me battery pack voltage
I have checked all of the fuses
The reverse buzzer works
If there is a seat switch, I cannot find it
There is no hand brake - just the electric motor brake system
The FNR switch tests good for continuity
The High/Low speed switch tests good for continuity, although this is supposed to be 24V when on low speed, and I am getting 20V. Regardless, it does not work on low or high speed.

Does anyone have experience with this cart or controller? I believe it is also known as a Sevcon, but Borg Warner bought Sevcon several years ago.

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on here. There is aparantly a Columbia calibration tool that can plug in and give me data, but they are super expensive and hard to come by.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Traviswright is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2023, 12:05 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2019 Columbia Journeyman - 2 Flashes

Try this.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/17...an-Series.html

And this
https://www.columbiavehicles.com/sup...ring-schematic
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:13 AM   #3
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! Yes, I found this manual as well and have followed the diagnostic advice. But I am a little unclear on how to test the pin voltage. Is that done by disconnecting the 35 pin connector and probing the female side, or is there some way to check voltage with the connector attached?
Old 01-20-2023, 01:08 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

LOL. I have no idea, I guess you can back probe the plug with a pin. Works for me in most cases, just never done it on one of these carts.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Hey Travis, I know we've been going back and forth on direct email and we can continue to do so, but can you update the forum on where you're at on the vehicle just for public knowledge in case anyone else is in the same spot?
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #6
Traviswright
Not Yet Wild

Absolutely - and thank you so much for your continued support!

Forward/Reverse Switch
------------------------------
Across terminals 1 and 3, I get no continuity in neutral or reverse, and I get continuity in forward
Across terminals 7 and 3, I get no continuity in neutral or forward, and I get continuity in reverse

Slow Fast Switch
--------------------------
On the slow/fast switch I get continuity on fast, and no continuity on slow. One interesting note - the slow/fast switch has a voltage of 18v, and I think this should be 24v. Does that matter?

I also took a few reads on the controller pins - my notes are in the attached spreadsheet.

I did check the accelerator micro switch - I get 0V when pushing the accelerator, and 24V when the accelerator is at rest. I pulled the accelerator apart and confirmed it is working properly. *I did adjust the micro switch arm just a bit to make sure it makes contact prior to sending voltage to the controller. *

There is one more improtant thing that I figured out recently. If I leave the cart unplugged from the charger, it drains the batteries to zero in 48 hours. It actually is about 1V per hour. So I have a suspicion that whatever is causing the batteries to drain is also causing the illegal start. Any thoughts on where to start here?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Controller IO Readings.pdf (32.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin