lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #21
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

That all depends on where you drop old batteries off.. my cart I bought in October came with 10 year old dead batteries I took to an interstate battery location and they gave me $60 for the cores..
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #22
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Cores are shop dependent. Some shops want the same brand cores and some don’t care. They’re all getting sent to the scrapper/recycler anyway.

Lot of shops also charge $20-30 each for the cores if you don’t have them when you buy new batteries. So a lot of times if you put the used cores on Craigslist or Facebook you can get a few bucks for them that way too.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:04 AM   #23
DaveTM
Gone Wild

It’s been awhile since I’ve switched to lithium. 2018 I think? Maybe things have changed since then so I would call around and see if you have any luck in disposing your cores.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #24
Buttapollock1010
Getting Wild

Club Car

I would give these a look. EnjoyBot batteries. My brother is having pretty good experience so far. Not sure I believe all these out of balance issues. Many different ways to charge batteries individually in series….
My brother is getting 18mph out of a stock 36v resistor golf cart. Time will tell. As of now I’m very impressed!!!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=axbkUDe508M&feature=shares
Buttapollock1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:31 PM   #25
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttapollock1010 View Post
Not sure I believe all these out of balance issues. Many different ways to charge batteries individually in series….
My brother is getting 18mph out of a stock 36v resistor golf cart. Time will tell.

Believe what you like, it's a fact. It's hard enough keeping cells in balance when they're managed by a single BMS. 4 BMS's, impossible.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:36 PM   #26
Buttapollock1010
Getting Wild

Club Car

I’m coming from boating experience. We run multiple bank chargers where you charge each battery separately. But they are in series running trolling motors for hours on end. Never a issue keeping them charged.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:53 PM   #27
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
I’m coming from boating experience. We run multiple bank chargers where you charge each battery separately. But they are in series running trolling motors for hours on end. Never a issue keeping them charged.
Flooded lead acid (or gel) or Lithium with individual BMS?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #28
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
And there's your answer. Charging each 12v battery individually is the only way to keep them in check and I've said that many times on here. NOCO have a 4 bank charger just for that.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:14 PM   #29
Buttapollock1010
Getting Wild

Club Car

Run them all over the years. We also have onboard chargers that charge while the big motors are running off the alternator. Obviously lithium are the newest. Going on 3+ years.

I understand BMS’s in series being charged typical golf cart method, could and will get out of balance voltage wise. But when you charge them each individually for instance 3 or 4 bank chargers. BMS should stop charging each battery separately when they are full.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:16 PM   #30
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

What you're saying is absolutely correct! But this is a cart forum, not a fishing/boating forum. Your initial statement of

Quote:
Not sure I believe all these out of balance issues.
is very misleading on this forum as many will take that as being able to install 4 x 12v lithium batteries in their 48v cart and charge them with a 48v (nominal) charger as they are accustomed to. In reality, the only way to charge 4 x 12v lithium batteries in series is with individual, isolated 12v chargers OR a multi port 12v charger with isolated outputs, as you alluded to in your second post.

I always recommend the following charger for anyone that has already purchased 12v lithium batteries for use in their carts. It will charge 4 12v lithium batteries individually, whilst still connected in series. It's not cheap, at anywhere between $400 and $500, but it's the only way to avoid balance problems.

https://no.co/genpro10x4

Cheers
Pat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car