lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Clutch shaft thread repair help needed 81 G1

Need some help. A while back during the rebuild I removed the castle nut from the secondary clutch shaft. When I put it back on it never stayed tight. I’ve tried lock tight, lock tight with two jam nuts “lasted the longest” and a new nut. Nothing secures or holds tight anymore. I’ve never used a die set but I’m considering doing this here. So couple questions, if I go that route, do you know how to determine what size die to use? After a re thread how do you know what nut to use? Lastly would you take a different approach? Thanks for any information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D156B607-EDFA-49A0-81A3-CCFC3DC0CBEC.jpg (126.4 KB, 0 views)
Bigblock460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Clutch shaft thread repair help needed 81 G1

Looks like the shaft diameter is worn undersize near the cotter pin hole. Use a thread gauge to determine what thread pitch you have. If it's metric see if you can find an undersized SAE thread close to the same pitch. Vise versa for SAE to metric. Other than that you might have to wend it up to the original diameter and re-cut it using the original thread pitch. It's tedious work but it can be done.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Will it tighten up still? That looks pretty wallered out and probably should be replaced. As a quick fix you could probably tighten er down and lock the nut on with a couple tack welds. It won’t go anywhere and should be fine until you need to replace the clutch, at which time grind off your tack welds, and I’d plan on replacing the shaft as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Another soso fix would be replace the nut with some washers or spacer to hold the clutch on the then use a bolt or pin thru the cotter hole to hold them in place. Probably the way I would do it as you haven't hurt the input shaft any worse.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:02 PM   #5
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Another soso fix would be replace the nut with some washers or spacer to hold the clutch on the then use a bolt or pin thru the cotter hole to hold them in place. Probably the way I would do it as you haven't hurt the input shaft any worse.
I did try this route but the force of the clutch broke any bolt I could fit in the cottor pin hole.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:04 PM   #6
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Will it tighten up still? That looks pretty wallered out and probably should be replaced. As a quick fix you could probably tighten er down and lock the nut on with a couple tack welds. It won’t go anywhere and should be fine until you need to replace the clutch, at which time grind off your tack welds, and I’d plan on replacing the shaft as well.
Naw will not snug up anymore. About the moment it feels tight,,, the next turn goes loose again.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:08 PM   #7
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
Looks like the shaft diameter is worn undersize near the cotter pin hole. Use a thread gauge to determine what thread pitch you have. If it's metric see if you can find an undersized SAE thread close to the same pitch. Vise versa for SAE to metric. Other than that you might have to wend it up to the original diameter and re-cut it using the original thread pitch. It's tedious work but it can be done.
It did originally have a 12M castle nut but I don’t know the pitch. Where do you find a gage for this and can it still read the threads with them being messed up?
Old 10-21-2022, 12:43 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d say it’s time to seek an input shaft. May be a needle in a haystack but I’d start by calling Don plowman and maybe he has something
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:59 AM   #9
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a Craftsman thread pitch gauge that I've had for years but I doubt that you would find it at Lowes or Ace any more. Google it online or check one of the auto parts stores. Could also try Snap-on, Mac or some of the other "tool truck" people that drive around.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
What about a shear pin from an outboard propeller ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha