lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2023, 11:05 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: help with cam selection

Yeah this is the duster except you can't unscrew it and shim it, its set for a 1 3/16 belt and thats it, which is fine for a golf cart. Its also the HD cover , the ribbed cover which is different. It works well when I floor it but part throttle is mixed bag. It wants to rev some on a soft take off and then shift out to lower rpm. Then it will backshift but it takes a little before it revs back up. If I am on the gas harder it works pretty well.

Not sure its the VC long rod that is probably it. It may be in my build thread. I cut .100 off that just cleaned up the bottom of the dish in my piston. I ground the last few thou off it to clean it up. Its very close to zero deck but I didn't measure. It was under before. Plus without the dish that is why I put the thick gasket in is that .060 or something. I can tell you if your clutch hangs at low rpm and lugs it under 2500 or so it will spark knock with this setup on mine with a .050 cut head. Sometimes if I slow down and hit the gas it wants to do that at a certain speed. So yes a roller clutch would be much better, but its fun to ride and works ok most of the time. This also still has the comp release so I can idle it down to hit that and shift gears easily. You do have to tune the carb to get that slow idle, you have to adjust the idle mix and maybe enlarge the tiny idle jet. Its so tiny I put a wire through it and sawed on it a while and that was enough to make it work well, on the stock carb. This slide carb I got a jet set for it. Note I also use the GC gen starter which will keep it running at a super slow idle.

The only thing I would like to do is shim my cam. The cam slops around sideways in there. It needs shims on the end. I don't hear it knock or anything but I don't like it that way wish I would have known about the shims back then.

I have no idea how the intake affects it. It starts fine and have had no problems with it. I did have to make a custom flange to mount on the head because the shock on the G9 is right there no room. So my adapter is less than an inch thick. But I can put any carb on now and its not out back in the dirt like before.

I would guess in gokart talk 6K rpm is a torque cam. This stuff is all from karts and they rev the snot out of them. But I don't think you want an 8K rpm engine in a golf cart for a daily driver, well Ray might lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2023, 06:05 AM   #12
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I haven't been here much lately and it's nice to see you're still providing help and info Sho. Every fence needs good anchor posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Yeah this is the duster except you can't unscrew it and shim it, its set for a 1 3/16 belt and thats it, which is fine for a golf cart. Its also the HD cover , the ribbed cover which is different. It works well when I floor it but part throttle is mixed bag. It wants to rev some on a soft take off and then shift out to lower rpm. Then it will backshift but it takes a little before it revs back up. If I am on the gas harder it works pretty well.

Not sure its the VC long rod that is probably it. It may be in my build thread. I cut .100 off that just cleaned up the bottom of the dish in my piston. I ground the last few thou off it to clean it up. Its very close to zero deck but I didn't measure. It was under before. Plus without the dish that is why I put the thick gasket in is that .060 or something. I can tell you if your clutch hangs at low rpm and lugs it under 2500 or so it will spark knock with this setup on mine with a .050 cut head. Sometimes if I slow down and hit the gas it wants to do that at a certain speed. So yes a roller clutch would be much better, but its fun to ride and works ok most of the time. This also still has the comp release so I can idle it down to hit that and shift gears easily. You do have to tune the carb to get that slow idle, you have to adjust the idle mix and maybe enlarge the tiny idle jet. Its so tiny I put a wire through it and sawed on it a while and that was enough to make it work well, on the stock carb. This slide carb I got a jet set for it. Note I also use the GC gen starter which will keep it running at a super slow idle.

The only thing I would like to do is shim my cam. The cam slops around sideways in there. It needs shims on the end. I don't hear it knock or anything but I don't like it that way wish I would have known about the shims back then.

I have no idea how the intake affects it. It starts fine and have had no problems with it. I did have to make a custom flange to mount on the head because the shock on the G9 is right there no room. So my adapter is less than an inch thick. But I can put any carb on now and its not out back in the dirt like before.

I would guess in gokart talk 6K rpm is a torque cam. This stuff is all from karts and they rev the snot out of them. But I don't think you want an 8K rpm engine in a golf cart for a daily driver, well Ray might lol.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
I haven't been here much lately and it's nice to see you're still providing help and info Sho. Every fence needs good anchor posts.
Did you just call Sho a......fence???
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:47 AM   #14
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nope. I called him an anchor. You are too. Anchor posts hold up fences and make them stronger, like you see around pasture fields. You guys post the kind of help and info that holds the BGW fence up. Not a good metaphor though was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Did you just call Sho a......fence???
Old 01-18-2023, 12:00 AM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
Nope. I called him an anchor. You are too. Anchor posts hold up fences and make them stronger, like you see around pasture fields. You guys post the kind of help and info that holds the BGW fence up. Not a good metaphor though was it.
I know bud just bustin chops All good Appreciate the kind words. We're all just here to have fun.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:58 AM   #16
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: help with cam selection

This is why I like being the leg pull-er vs the pull-ee.

I'm on a John Deere site most of the time and there's a group of wisemen over there who post invaluable help and information. They don't just pass along what they heard. They base their advice on personal experience. If a forum doesn't have guys like that, or not enough of them, it's not gonna do well. It's usually an unpaid service. They do it for the love of the hobby. Post count isn't always an indicator of how much assistance they provide. It's the quality of their info that matters.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps