lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

Default help with cam selection

looking to pull the 440 duromax out of my g9 this winter and add a billet rod, billet flywheel and a mikuni vm34 carb. currently stuck on cam selection.

Looking for something that will rev higher then the stock cam, but not kill all my low end tq. cart is used for neighborhood cruising/ mild trail riding and camp ground cruising.

the 275 cam and 308 cam look decent.

i was also gonna open up the ports in the head and mill it while i had it off. If that sways the cam selection any.

i see the 308 cam says race fuel only and 12 to one comp. I really would like to stick with 91 rec fuel.
Jbrowne479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: help with cam selection

I have the twister cam which has specs similar to the 275. My head is ported and the valve pockets are enlarged. All that is done pretty much to the max. Also running the 1.3 ratio rocker arms. This combo is as far as can go lift wise without modding the valve guides. IMHO the 34 mm carb is going to too big for your use and will result in poor throttle response.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply. Drop down to a 26mm ya think?

How’s your combo run? Lookin for slow roll cruising with the ability to race my brothers for fun now and then.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It can crawl for bird watching with the GF and has been up to 45.5 MPH @ 5700 RPM with me lifting off the throttle because it was still pulling.That was with the windshield up and the tires at low lbs. for a softer ride. I have a 30mm CVK carb I never installed after both the VC supplied 2 circuit and the Shepard modified VC 3 circuit carbs so well with an adjustable main jet added Throttle response is razor sharp with no stumbling at any RPM or throttle position. Both carbs are also chokeless and throated to match the VC mikuni manifold I use as an air cleaner adapter. P.S Pics of the 3 carb I butchered and Shepard saved on in the 24mm experimental carb thread.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:36 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Go with a smaller VM carb, 34mm is too large. With the 34mm you will get big power up top but thats it, it will not idle great and will likely flood. You'd have to jet it down, which will kill your top end anyway. I'd go with the VM28, Dennis Kirk has one https://www.denniskirk.com/mikuni/28...hoCtpEQAvD_BwE. This would be a huge upgrade over a stock type carb and is fully adjustable, should idle at 900 rpm easily and have crisp throttle response with no stumble. Make sure you use a "good" air filter, any dust that gets through will clog this carb and cause driveability issues. Also a high quality fuel filter and good fuel.

Don't buy a big race cam, too aggressive for normal slow driving and not great for trail riding. Buy the torque style cam and run pump gas. The HP difference will not be noticable on the street, only on a timeslip. I used the Isky race cam from Vegas Carts (discontinued) and it was a monster up top but it was not ideal for low rpm crawling around in the woods. Ended up swapping to the Vegas Carts torque cam, much better and less valvetrain chatter. I don't think Vegas sells that cam anymore. Remember, big lift isn't always better power to the ground. Get a cam that will operate in the rpm range that you need the power the most 90% of the time. The race cams are designed to be used in Karts, not golf carts, keep that in mind. Karts are much lighter. If you were only riding on flat pavement then you could get away with a race cam. Look to NR Racing 280 series 0411 grind : http://www.nrracing.com/product-p/390cam-280.htm It's designed for max torque lower in the rpm range with a max rpm of 6000. The lift is just a little over stock so it will be easier on your valvetrain.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

great replies fellas, thank you! i will take a look at your suggestions.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:34 PM   #7
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I used the isky black mamba in my hemi 460 it pulls like a freight train
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I got a cheater cam from Vegas when they had them. Its just a stock cam with more duration. I used the 1.3 rockers that pushes the lift up higher so its similar to a larger cam. It works really well. It has way more top end rpm most stock cams puke at 4K this will rev to 6 or more. But if I run it out like that on a road it will loosen up my block bolts lol as I have a lifan 7 bolt I believe it is. But I don't run roads and stay under 35 offroad so its been fine. Far as low end I did have to run a different clutch so it engaged higher, it would spark knock with stock clutch. But its not that much different and perfectly drivable around the yard. It also shifts at about 4K or 4200 now that works better think stock is more like 3600. Far as the head I only cut mine .050 some cut .100. I didn't want to use premium and had the thin copper gasket. Later I put the Vegas long billet rod and cam in and cut my piston down .100, that took the dish off the piston, so I used a thick head gasket with that. I put in HD pushrods, shaft 1.3 rockers. It seems to be ok on regular with the setup I have. Its also the old coil that does not advance, it might be better with the new setup that retards at low rpm IDK. I had the head ported but he didn't go crazy with it, also its a lifan head it may be different. I ran a 34mm CV carb it ran great except it didin't want to wind out past 5K or so which i found out after putting the cam and stuff in. It was great with stock cam it ran nice, started nice. Finally I put this slide carb on its a 30mm. Its in my build thread. Both are pumper carbs. I even wired the spring in the CV for less pressure it helped but still had issue on top end. This slide will pull up to 6K or whatever I stopped at 42mph it was getting hairy lol. I also have a custom intake that puts the carb above the crankcase on other side of head. I made it out of brass sink drain and fuel filler neck hose. So I like the pumper carb it starts cold easier then. I use a 94c ezgo clutch, not sure I'd recommend it. I use a cut down spring its pretty good now but not perfect and had it off there 30 times changing setup. The puck clutches don't shift as smooth unless you are gassing on it but its better than the G9 clutch I could not adjust. I drilled the weights in the G9 clutch it helped but not enough. I use a scrambler belt now, had to move the engine to get the 94c to engage right its a little different than G9. But my mount is hand made.

Photo here with CV carb https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=67962&page=33

IDK if things changed but used to be the new electronic coil had a rev limit at 4K, if you have one. You can buy one without the rev limit. The electronic coil uses a different flywheel also.

Slonomo is always on track. If you use a top end cam you will have to clutch it to run at that rpm. Vegas called mine a torque cam but it can run 6K rpm lol, so IDK. But it probably has stock power from maybe 2500 and up, less under that. The peak power is higher around 4-4500 while stock is 3600 usually. It depends on the mods you have, how ported the head is, exhaust, carb, etc. I'd say my 30mm carb is plenty big enough for this. The 34 I don't know why the CV would not work right at high rpm, it worked great at lower rpm. Maybe it was too big and would not open all the way. My car probably loses power at 5K and more but its still pulling. With my 22 tires I have 4K around 30mph or something and its fully shifted out rpm climb from there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #9
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

wow! thank you for the very detailed and informative post!! Im liking the sound of the cheater cams/torque cams. I currently have 1.2 roller rockers, so they would complement that style cam nicely i would think. Should be able to keep my 35lb valve springs i installed as well.

I currently have a 94c duster clutch... not a big fan of it, currently looking at the comet 780 and the cvtech. do you happen to know if either of these are smaller in diameter then the 94c? hate to loose top speed.

the duromax engines have the old school ut1 coils, so no rev limit there.

what rod length did you go with? I would like to install a longer rod and cut my dished piston down to a flat top as well.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

NRracing sells the 4.510 billet rod that looks like the billet rod VC used to sell. This lets you use a flat top piston and zero deck height. VC designed the rod so nothing needed to be ground for clearance even with the 69 mm stroker crankshaft.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps