lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #1
Dirtlevel69
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Battery dies on my g16

Just bought this old cart, done alot of work on it,but the electric part is whipping me. The battery is not charging, it wants to run after I shut it off, and when I give it gas it takes a good minute before everything goes in motion. I got plans on making this think sharp, but for the life of me I can't figure this electrical stuff out. It's a 96 g16. Thank you for any and all the help
Dirtlevel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery dies on my g16

Did this cart ever run correctly since you've had it? Did it recently have any electrical work done to it?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:43 AM   #3
Dirtlevel69
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

No, I bought it will issues. And yes the owner told me that he put a new starter on it,
Old 03-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Dirtlevel69
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I put a new battery, new starter, and a new silanoid, battery is still not charging.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:14 AM   #5
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

Do you have the wiring diagram for the cart, and are you comfortable with reading a wiring diagram? When you say 'running after shutoff' does the engine turn over when you turn on the key (that would be bad) - or can you turn off the key and still have the engine crank and run? If the wiring has been cut & spliced a lot, there may be things cross connected. Tracing out where wires are connected is going to be key IMO.

This cart has an unusual fusing on ground that most folks just try to use the frame as ground when they chop the wiring. If you hit the gas pedal, and nothing happens - that's not normal. Should have a slight pedal, the switch under the floorboard closes and full-time solenoid engages, starter rotates. The switch can get wonky as it's in an exposed location to elements.

Really you are down to testing out components to determine how each is working, both in circuit and out to narrow down some of those issues.

Charging (which was the last thing I handled on my cart) was a regulator that wasn't quite up to snuff on charging. Unless all the wiring is straightened out - and starter/solenoid/coil cutoff is working right - the charging circuit has wiring in common, so hitting those will eliminate a lot of possible avenues to explore.

You will also likely see the 'buy the OEM regulator - Ebay/amazon stuff is crap' - If you read the reviews, they all say great price, but failed in a month, 4 times...
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #6
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

(fully endorsing OEM regulator vs. aftermarket)
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:03 PM   #7
Dirtlevel69
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I cleaned up the wiring, changed the starter,and silanoid.. turned out I had a faulty voltage regulator. Problem has be conquered. Thank you for yalls help and advice, I learned alot from this experience.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha