lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #1
HomeMadeSin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default The “opportunity” for a major upgrade presents itself…

Well, the input shaft spline decided it has had enough.

The Mrs is lamenting the loss of the cart and thus I have started the inspection. Bought the service manual and began taking the rear axle assembly out.

The stats: ‘07 Yamaha YDRE G29 stock except high speed gear set (23/58 and 30/95 for 7.98:1 ratio. White sticker Team axle. Brand new Trojan batteries. Measured the grooves (above spec at 0.4mm depth) and plates (also over spec at 2.4mm). So no need per se to replace the wetted pack.

The input shaft has one Chinese bearing and one Russian. The Russian bearing feels “good” the Chinese leaves a little to be desired. The intermediate shaft has at least one Chinese bearing and the inner raceway spins too…

So I can’t find any identifying marks to help me determine how to procure a replacement, but I’m thinking about rebuilding the axle with stock OEM parts and going with a new AC drive system. I had planned to purchase a whole new axle assembly because of the white sticker unit (-01 version) but it seems I waited too long and they’re nowhere to be found.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Z
HomeMadeSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2022, 04:00 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: The “opportunity” for a major upgrade presents itself…

Not long ago, Plowman's carts ( side sponsor ) wrote on here, that they'll have Team axles in stock.
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
HomeMadeSin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

True, and while it took me a bit to locate it there are new -04 axles on there for $3500. Certainly an option, but the only thing that *needs* to be replaced is the input shaft. So, ~$200 vs $3500.

And drive rotor of course…
Old 07-18-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I understand, that's no question... I've purchased a new transaxle for the RXV in 2020, 1130$ was acceptable for me, but things have changed! Last year i had a '07 Yamaha Drive project cart, fortunately with a green tag axle. Good Luck
Old 07-18-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
HomeMadeSin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks! At $1130, I’d be all over that in a heartbeat!!! Heck, I’d buy two :)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The problem with replacing Just the input shaft is how much wear is on the gear faces. An old gear has been worn in a certain way and mating to a new gear that's not broken in can result in severe wear to both because the clearances are wrong. This can be especially bad when bad bearings are part of the initial failure. When bearing clearances are incorrect it causes the gears to walk on each other or makes the faces wear unevenly. So the gear tooth edge looks like this ( rather than being straight.

Check the gears for excessive wear or any grooving or rounding of the teeth. Check the edges for a nice squared off top. If the edges are folded, or have a knife-edge, they would need to be replaced as a whole set.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My first attempt with the loud whining rearend was a new input shaft but, it dosn't fix anything. The bearings of the old one were good so far but, the teeth edges were sharp like a knife. At that point, i decided to purchase a new axle.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #8
HomeMadeSin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Good input thanks - this is what I’m wrestling with. Ideally, I would replace every bearing and seal as well as each friction plate and reaction plate. Both of the latter appear to have lots of life left. If I go back to OEM ratios, both the input shaft and intermediate shaft would be “as-new” - presumably a reasonable amount less than $3500.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #9
HomeMadeSin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

One more:

Old 07-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #10
HomeMadeSin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

In a splitting hairs effort, I totaled the parts that make up a transaxle and searched for prices on-line (not going for cheapest). Not every part was available, and a few had superseded variants), but just about everything came to $4,211.75 (no labor of course).

Filtering for just the items that seem to need replacement and the usual best-practice of all bearings, seals, orings, etc, the total drops to $898.86. BTW, this includes the input shaft assy, intermediate shaft assy and ring gear. Rewind the clock a year and the full axle price at ~$1100 would’ve been the easy choice. But at $3,500 I think I’ll take the parts route and rebuild and put the difference towards the motor and electrics that also need to be addressed.

Z
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha