lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
scottp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Oil Leaking After Inner Seal Replacement G29 YDRE

Hello,
So I've got this yellow tag transaxle out of a 2008 yamaha g29 ydre. It was leaking out behind the hub, so I took it all apart and replaced the inner seal. Put it all back together, installed it back into the cart, installed the motor and then drove it around. I thought I did good! Until the next morning noticed the leak was waaay worse now! There was a puddle of oil around that wheel the next morning. So I took it all apart again today and found that the seal isn't in an ideal location on the axle to seal properly. I've attached a drawing of where the seal lands when the seal is installed all the way in and axle has c-clip installed (see upper half of drawing). So I did some research and found there is a ring seal that can be installed on the end of the axle? Or am I mistaken? Well I put one on to try it out because it went on tightly on the end of the axle and the inner seal went snug around it real nice. So when all the wet braking system back in I couldn't get the the last big gear to seat fully unless I pulled the axle. Then the insides could all go back in and I sealed up the case. But now the axle wont go in all the way with the ring seal on the axle. Does anybody have good experience with this axle?

Thank you, Scott Prall

G29 Oil Seal.jpg
scottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
TripleToe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Oil Leaking After Inner Seal Replacement G29 YDRE

Did you ever figure this out? I've replaced a bearing on my 2009 G29 and it still has a small drip around the bearing. I had read you have to split the axle case to replace the ring seals inside but I think my axle has the same ring attached to the end as you've shown in your drawing and I'm wondering if I can replace it by just slipping the old one off and the new one one. I would hate to do that and have it start leaking even worse though.....
TripleToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have not done this yet either. I have new bearings - just have not tried to install them. No leaks now (2009 Team Axle) I thought I had a bad bearing but it turned out that the nut on the hub was loose when I got the cart. I tightened the nut and bearing seems ok so I have not replaced it yet.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:07 PM   #4
TripleToe
Not Yet Wild

So I'm confused. Everything I am reading says "it is a real pain to fix the ring seals because they are inside the axle". However, in the parts manual for the 2009 G29s I do not see the part they are talking about. Instead, I see a "ring seal" that slips over the end of the axle that you pull out. The manual is here and it is on page A9, part 53. I've attached a photo of the axle I pulled from mine as well. Is this the seal in question that is allowing the oil to leak out past the bearing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringseal.jpg (4.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-15-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
TripleToe
Not Yet Wild

Upon further research, I'm wondering if these are the seals that I've been reading about....
Old 03-15-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Those are for a gas powered cart - I'm pretty sure.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:25 PM   #7
TripleToe
Not Yet Wild

So perhaps it is this part instead? The problem is, if I specify a 2009 YDRE2 J22 for the "does this fit my cart" section, it says no. This is really confusing. The serial number on my cart is JW2-210XXX so as far as I can tell, that makes it a 2009 YDRE. I have no idea what the difference is between that and a YDRE2 J22 but it seems close enough. When I look at the transaxle parts diagram here, I see no seals at all. However, this diagram from the previous year model shows them (on page A9). Watching this video at 2:15, you can see the seal in question on his 2009 cart. So now I'm totally baffled as to which seal I need to be looking at.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:44 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think the second diagram is the correct one. The first looks like it skips the details. I've had mine apart but I must admit I did not look at that part where that seal would be. It's way up inside the transaxle. The bearing is at the far end of the shaft near the hub. There is no seal down there. Is is possible that your transaxle was over-filled? There is a specified amount of gear oil that goes in there. It should be changed every four years according to the manuals. I changed mine on my 2009 in 2019 when I bought it used and the fluid was a mess. The friction brake material gets in the fluid which is why it needs to be changed that frequently. I used the specified Yamalube which is kind of on the expensive side - like all other Yamaha parts. :-(
Old 03-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #9
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The seal that is causing your leak is at the inner end of the axle. Look inside when you have the axle out and you can see it. It tends to tear if the axle bearing fails.
The only way to change the seal is remove and split the transaxle.
Depending on the side that is leaking you may have to remove the brake disc pack as well.
For some reason most parts diagrams do not show the seals.

Many people try changing the axle bearing to repair the leak but it never works. Oil shouldn't even be out that far. The only time the oil gets out there is if the inner seal has failed.

You are correct about seeing the seal in the video.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
TripleToe
Not Yet Wild

This is great information! I think I may replace the seals and also swap out the brake set with this kit while I am at it. I think I read somewhere that you have to press off a bearing or something when trying to get the last brake discs off. Anyone heard about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
The seal that is causing your leak is at the inner end of the axle. Look inside when you have the axle out and you can see it. It tends to tear if the axle bearing fails.
The only way to change the seal is remove and split the transaxle.
Depending on the side that is leaking you may have to remove the brake disc pack as well.
For some reason most parts diagrams do not show the seals.

Many people try changing the axle bearing to repair the leak but it never works. Oil shouldn't even be out that far. The only time the oil gets out there is if the inner seal has failed.

You are correct about seeing the seal in the video.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha