lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
whatsbrewn
Not Yet Wild

Default Intermittent click and no go

Ez-Go txt will run for a bit and than just click.
New Batteries, New F/R Switch, New Solenoid, Checked to make sure all cables are tight, Nothing is hot when it starts clicking. After it sits for a few minutes it will run again. I have it up on jack stands and will feather the pedal for a few minutes and it runs well than it will just stop and start clicking. it has a NPX Nivel 453 Controller. I just purchased the cart so I do not know the carts history.
Voltages when it clicks but will not go:
Battery Voltage=38.25
M- Voltage=28.83
M- Voltage Pedal Depressed=38.25
B+ Voltage 28.83
B+ Voltage Pedal Depressed=38.25
Battery side of solenoid=38.25
left side of solenoid=28.83

Looking for suggestions of where to go from here. The tag ha been removed so I have no serial number.
Thanks
whatsbrewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
whatsbrewn
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Intermittent click and no go

So what does the resistor that goes across the large connections of the solenoid switch actually do? The minute i remove it my problem goes away
Old 06-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
Scott quail
Gone Wild

The large resistor across the solenoid is a precharge resistor...it basically stores voltage for the controller. Its possible that that is the issue. If its bad it will not allow the full voltage across the solenoid. Id suggest replacing it.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
whatsbrewn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott quail View Post
The large resistor across the solenoid is a precharge resistor...it basically stores voltage for the controller. Its possible that that is the issue. If its bad it will not allow the full voltage across the solenoid. Id suggest replacing it.
This is crazy, I just went out to check it and it's clicking again. The only thing I did was disconnect the positive cable and put it back on and now it works again.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbrewn View Post
1. So what does the resistor that goes across the large connections of the solenoid switch actually do?

2. The minute i remove it my problem goes away
1. There are about a Farad of capacitors inside the controller between the controller's B- and B+ terminals and the resistor between the solenoid's two large terminals keeps the charged while the solenoid contacts are open.

If the capacitors are not kept charged, there will be a huge inrush of amps when the solenoid contacts bounce to a close, a lot of arcing will occur.

The resistor simply extends the lifespan of the solenoid contacts. The cart will run with or without it.

2. Not sure why this is happening, as previously stated, the cert will run with or without the pre-charge resistor.

Is the controller giving you any error codes?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
whatsbrewn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. There are about a Farad of capacitors inside the controller between the controller's B- and B+ terminals and the resistor between the solenoid's two large terminals keeps the charged while the solenoid contacts are open.

If the capacitors are not kept charged, there will be a huge inrush of amps when the solenoid contacts bounce to a close, a lot of arcing will occur.

The resistor simply extends the lifespan of the solenoid contacts. The cart will run with or without it.

2. Not sure why this is happening, as previously stated, the cert will run with or without the pre-charge resistor.

how would it show error codes? it's green when throttle is on and will turn reddish at full throttle.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
whatsbrewn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Ok, when I hit the throttle the green light will flash 4 times and then come on solid green. it's a NPX Nivel 453 Controller
Old 06-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbrewn View Post
Ok, when I hit the throttle the green light will flash 4 times and then come on solid green. it's a NPX Nivel 453 Controller
That is an Alltrax NPX controller (Non programmable version of the user-programmable AXE) - Nivel just relabels them.

The LED flashes the error codes.

Is it still working or is it misbehaving again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NPX.jpg (327.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg NPX - EZ.jpg (238.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #9
whatsbrewn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That is an Alltrax NPX controller (Non programmable version of the user-programmable AXE) - Nivel just relabels them.

The LED flashes the error codes.

Is it still working or is it misbehaving again?
It's still acting up.
I get 4 green flashes and then a solid green
I am getting no red flashes
Old 06-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
TGJR
Gone Wild

I have had a couple of Alltrax AXE controllers in the past that would intermittently stop working. No error codes, just no power being outputted. You could take a rubber hammer and lightly tap the controller when the pedal was pressed (and the controller was "on" and supposed to be running) and the controller would all the sudden start working fine. Usually it would run for a bit and then stop again. Especially after you hit a bump.

Obviously a connection or something inside the controller was broken. But since the controllers are potted and can't be repaired, they were bricks at that point.
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO