lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
Braswell_J
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV brake issues

I think it's a 2001 but the sticker is scratched.
The cart has brakes while driving, but, the brake doesn't set when you turn the key off. What could be the issue?
Braswell_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV brake issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braswell_J View Post
I think it's a 2001 but the sticker is scratched.
The cart has brakes while driving, but, the brake doesn't set when you turn the key off. What could be the issue?
The braking for an RXV while driving is done by the motor, not by the park brake. The park brake with no power on it should be in the locked position. If it isn't locking with the cart switched off, then it must be a defective motor brake. Actually, the cart should not run with a non working park brake as it is one of the items checked on start-up. However, someone with a programmer can set the controller to not check for motor brake on start-up. I don't know if that applies in your case. Oh and by the way, RXV wasnt built until 2008 .
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The earlier year models RXV had Danaher controllers and came with a motor brake with a brake release handle made onto the motor brake. Is it possible that yours is a Danaher with that handle and is in the released position ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b32507b73b80a32b22553a0cb6bc997b.jpg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
Braswell_J
Not Yet Wild

sthreatt thanks for the info.

Cart is an '09. I overlooked the date code.

The controller is labeled ACD motor controller.
The motor brake doesn't have a release like the pic you posted.

The #1, #2, #3 & #4 plugs, under the controller cover, should be #1 to #2 & #3 to #4, right?

Also, sometimes, the cart will go through it's start-up checks and run normally(aside from the parking brake issue) and sometimes it won't run after the start-up checks.

Last edited by Braswell_J; 06-22-2021 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: add info.
Braswell_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

'09 would have originally been a Danaher controller ( although many people did a Danaher to Curtis conversion ) and I'm pretty sure the #1, #2, #3, #4 plugs for brake release were only on the Curtis models. EzGo didn't make the full switch to Curtis until 2012. The proper plug positions in normal operation is 1 to 2, 3 to 4 . Switching 1 to 3 is supposed to supply direct power to the motor brake so you can roll it. It releases the brake and the cart won't run in that position. You say yours will not set the brake at all. If you can reach through and unplug the 2 pin plug on the motor brake, and still roll the cart, then it needs a motor brake.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sthreatt, only for information, i've read about this handle break from time to time, but that must affect very early models only? My '09 has the later Version without a handle and with the release connector under the controller Cover!
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Sthreatt, only for information, i've read about this handle break from time to time, but that must affect very early models only? My '09 has the later Version without a handle and with the release connector under the controller Cover!
I kind of thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. I have 2 different schematics, minor differences. I just looked up the ACD Motor Controller, it is Danaher. Obviously, if his is Danaher and has the 1, 2, 3, 4, plugs, then that must be correct. All that being said, if the cart will roll with the motor brake unplugged, it needs replacing.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, probably it's the brake... if you normaly try to drive the cart with a disconnected or removed parking brake ( i've tested this ), you'll get a beep, beep and it didn't move at all!
Old 06-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Where a lot of people get confused is to think that the pedal brake to slow or stop the cart is the motor brake. It is not. The motor brake is only for park brake or emergency brake. The slowing or stopping of the cart is done electromagnetically by the motor. When you switch the cart off, the motor brake locks the motor, locking the cart in place. In an EMERGENCY slam on the brakes all the way down, it activates a switch which kills the power to the motor brake and slams it shut/locked ( emergency only and very hard on the motor brake ) The motor brake has a brake disc inside about 1/4 inch thick and about 5 inches across, not NEARLY enough brake for everyday routine cart braking.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Exactly, I KNOW THAT You're talking out of my heart, some times ago i've wrote with other members about this system. The main braking function is called ' Counter Current Brake '. When the pedal is pressed, the motor is switching in opposite direction, producing regen / brake energy. I offen call this tiny brake at the end of the motor parking brake, what it mainly is. Without this knowledge, the word motorbrake suggest ' that's my brake

P.s also important to know, the braking power of such a system is higher than the drive power, so don't be afraid that it can't stopping you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO