lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #21
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Default Re: Best and most affordable charger for lithium leaf 14s pack

I figured it out. It was a bad micro switch in the brand new foot pedal. I just replaced it with a new one that i had and boom it worked. Only clicks when i press the pedal. Now i just need a charger
Ryan Tug Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #22
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Best and most affordable charger for lithium leaf 14s pack

I think you made the right decision in ordering the Elcon TC for your charger. I am using a cheap Chinese charger very similar to what pinkEye3 uses. I am really not super comfortable with this set up. I plan to buy a Elcon charger so that it can talk with my Zeva.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:51 AM   #23
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Exactly what information is being exchanged between the Elcon and the Zeva? A charger should be smart enough to do it’s own thing without any information from the BMS. What if your BMS has a failure and your charger continues to charge because the BMS hadn’t told it what to do? You no longer have any redundancy.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #24
DaveTM
Gone Wild

The advantage of a charger with CANBus is your ability to set (or change) the top charge limit with your BMS.

My current setup is the charge the pack to 57.0 volts or 4.07V per cell. Initially I set it at 58.0 volts (4.14V per cell) but backed it off to extend the life of the pack.

As I understand it, the charger "knows" to charge the pack to 57.0V. The charger doesn't know (or care) what each cell is charged to.

So, for an overcharge to occur, both the charger and the BMS would have to fail at the same time. Possible....but not probable for such an event to occur.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #25
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
I think you made the right decision in ordering the Elcon TC for your charger. I am using a cheap Chinese charger very similar to what pinkEye3 uses. I am really not super comfortable with this set up. I plan to buy a Elcon charger so that it can talk with my Zeva.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just a heads up on the Elcon TC charger. I canceled that order they had not shipped it as of yesterday and I was told by them they had no idea when it would ship due to the high volume in Electric Vehicles and the high demand for this charger. It was 3 weeks ago I ordered it and I feel like thats BS on their part with no communication to me. So I ordered the chines fixed 58.4v 10amp one that pingEye3 and about 95% of everyone else is using. It will be here today and was only $40. I was going to just make this one work until the Elcon came in but my trust with EV Components is shot now. Does anyone know of another company that sales them for a decent price?
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #26
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

also on yalls Zeva settings what do yall run for minimum cell voltage and max cell voltage? also do yall leave the Zeva on when charging or put it in "Sleep" when charging it ? Any thing special in the Zeva settings I need to know? I am not running a max and min voltage relay at this time but I did enable the buzzer alarm on the Zeva for these issues.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #27
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Just picked up an adjustable charger from Battery EVO for my 36v build because I plan to mount the AIMs onboard the 48v cart. It was $169.00 and you have to use your meter to confirm the precise voltage you want it to deliver as it doesn't have a screen, but it seems made well enough. I'll also point out you'll need to add the appropriate end for your particular cart. They answered my questions in a day and it ships out of California, even though it's built in China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Evo...r=464256054860
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #28
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tug Smith View Post
also on yalls Zeva settings what do yall run for minimum cell voltage and max cell voltage? also do yall leave the Zeva on when charging or put it in "Sleep" when charging it ? Any thing special in the Zeva settings I need to know? I am not running a max and min voltage relay at this time but I did enable the buzzer alarm on the Zeva for these issues.
Minimum cell setting I use 44V or 3.14V-per cell. As stated by Sergio in this post https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...&postcount=327 anything below 3.0V per cell you run the risk of permanent damage. Actually, when my pack voltage drops to 50V (when at rest) that's when I charge it. The consumption of power from 50V to 44V occurs very fast (you hit the "knee" on the volt scale) and I get a very small amount of run time once the pack hits 50V.

Maximum charge I have set is pack total of 57.0V. This gives each cell 4.071V and some bump room to the max that should be 4.2V per cell. Charging to just below the max is suppose to extend the useful life of the batteries.

"Sleep" mode is not run when charging. At least, I don't do that, and I don't know if you actually can do that. Once the pack is charged, and after several hours of letting the BMS balance the cells, (I usually wait a day) I will then put the BMS in the sleep mode.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #29
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Minimum cell setting I use 44V or 3.14V-per cell. As stated by Sergio in this post https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...&postcount=327 anything below 3.0V per cell you run the risk of permanent damage. Actually, when my pack voltage drops to 50V (when at rest) that's when I charge it. The consumption of power from 50V to 44V occurs very fast (you hit the "knee" on the volt scale) and I get a very small amount of run time once the pack hits 50V.

Maximum charge I have set is pack total of 57.0V. This gives each cell 4.071V and some bump room to the max that should be 4.2V per cell. Charging to just below the max is suppose to extend the useful life of the batteries.

"Sleep" mode is not run when charging. At least, I don't do that, and I don't know if you actually can do that. Once the pack is charged, and after several hours of letting the BMS balance the cells, (I usually wait a day) I will then put the BMS in the sleep mode.
Ok Dave so to confirm you charge your cart with the BMS 100% on? monitor and all? Then after it charges you unplug the charger and still leave the BMS on and after a day or so then you put the BMS to sleep? Just want to confirm this is the right process before I charge her up tonight for the first time.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:06 PM   #30
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tug Smith View Post
Ok Dave so to confirm you charge your cart with the BMS 100% on?YES monitor and all? YESThen after it charges you unplug the charger and still leave the BMS on and after a day or so then you put the BMS to sleep?YES Just want to confirm this is the right process before I charge her up tonight for the first time.
See my answers above in RED

When you say charge her up tonight for the first time are you going to let it charge overnight? I only ask this as I would not leave the cart unattended....all by itself overnight. It takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to fully charge, depending upon the current state of charge it's in.

Also, you CAN unplug the charger before the pack reaches it's "set" or "full" charge. You may....depending upon how close to the full charge you are....get a message across the monitor that says "NO COMS WITH CHARGER" (I think that's the message I get). All that means is COMS = COMMUNICATION....since you pulled the power on the charger, the BMS can no longer communicate with it. Nothing is harmed. I only say this as you may get such a message if you pull the plug before 100% charged. You must put the BMS in sleep mode to clear this message....but don't switch to sleep mode until the shunt balancing is completed.

The first few times I charged my pack, I left the cart outside.....about 20 feet away from my house. You know.....gotta get those warm fuzzy's that all is working as it should.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!