lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Newest Leaf Modules

I agree that there have to be cell taps available somehow. Could be a fancy connector. I'm afraid that the flexibility of the original design is gone though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Default Newest Leaf Modules

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I purchased (2) of the 7S3P modules from bumblebee batteries on eBay. We spoke extensively about these packs.

The wiring harness you see sticking out is for the factory BMS system to attach to. He includes a plug in pigtail so you can access these without having to open the pack up. That way you can connect your BMS cell wiring to the modules. He also includes a factory buss bar to connect the modules in series to make a 14S setup.

I hope I don’t regret this purchase. The leaf packs seemed to be the preferred for a DIY setup but finding a compatible charger is proving to be challenging. I’ve been unable to find a DIY LifePO4 setup that will offer 170+AH capacity with the current output I need for the same price as these leaf modules.

EDIT: picture of module with BMS harness shown for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That should work nicely, based on what I could see on the bms tap connector for the smaller pack (4S3P) there was one wire less than the cell count.

I assume that was the last positive that would be provided by the first tap of the next module connected in series so perhaps you just need to tap the pack positive high current connection for the last cell.

The 10 amp chargers are common but I guess you are looking for a stronger charger?

Just be careful when reading the specs, another good charger is the Elcon TC 1.8KW HK-H Series (HK-H-H66-25) but it only delivers 1,800w if powered by 220VAC otherwise is 700w.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

These look like they should work well. I may look into getting some for my second cart.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #15
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That should work nicely, based on what I could see on the bms tap connector for the smaller pack (4S3P) there was one wire less than the cell count.

I assume that was the last positive that would be provided by the first tap of the next module connected in series so perhaps you just need to tap the pack positive high current connection for the last cell.

The 10 amp chargers are common but I guess you are looking for a stronger charger?

Just be careful when reading the specs, another good charger is the Elcon TC 1.8KW HK-H Series (HK-H-H66-25) but it only delivers 1,800w if powered by 220VAC otherwise is 700w.

Thanks for your input Sergio.

I’m not necessarily looking for a higher output charger, but I do like the possibility of having a shorter charge cycle with lithium. If the pack is rated at 170ah, assuming it was discharged to the lower limit, how long would a 10A charger take to fully recharge to say 4.0-4.1v per cell or about 57v for the 14s pack?

I have found a li-ion specific 15A charger that cuts off at 4.1v per cell but what I really would like to have is a unit I can mount on board and have Bluetooth capabilities. That is what was making me lean to the Lester charger. The charger I mentioned above is neither “waterproof/resistant” nor Bluetooth capable but the price is good on it.

I’ll look into the charger you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are only 4 modules of that size per Leaf e+ car so they may get hard to find as well.

Although the $850 tag will put that against some new cells as well.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I really like my Leaf cells but it seems that they are getting harder to find and folks are asking fairly high prices given that they can be used enough to be degraded from new. Not sure what I will do for my current build. I am open to suggestions - for a do it yourself guy that doesn't need a turnkey system.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #18
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There are only 4 modules of that size per Leaf e+ car so they may get hard to find as well.

Although the $850 tag will put that against some new cells as well.

I saw that too. He was pulling these when we talked over the weekend. He told me he would be listing them and sent me a message as soon as the listing went live.

I offered $1500 for the pair I bought and he accepted.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #19
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I really like my Leaf cells but it seems that they are getting harder to find and folks are asking fairly high prices given that they can be used enough to be degraded from new. Not sure what I will do for my current build. I am open to suggestions - for a do it yourself guy that doesn't need a turnkey system.

It’s truly getting harder to find affordable DIY cells. In my case I needed cells that could provide higher current output. The only cells I was able to find that would meet my needs (before I found these leaf cells) were the Frey or Fortune Lipo 100ah cells rated at 2C continuous and 6C peak but they were going to run anywhere from $1650 on alibaba to over $2k in the states. Plus all of the Chinese sellers are on “holiday” until late Feb. I’m trying to get my cart rebuilt by the end of Feb.

These leaf cells are at 96% SoH as listed by the seller so I feel they will be good for a long time.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think you got a good deal at $1500 for that much capacity. It's a bummer that they are built this way now - the 7S modules will probably be pretty rare.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium