lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Ok, there are a bunch of great build threads on here for the Leaf cells and I am pretty sure that I have read them all several times over and I am thankful for the information and help the folks on BGW provide daily to us backyard knuckle bangers.

I just finished up the last details from building my first pack last night and while I am happy with it there are things I will do differently this time and I did not go into a lot of detail on my last build thread... I realized that I have a unique opportunity to actually to learn on one build and then document a second build once I had a clue what I was doing. So I figured that while I still have the wide eye deer in the headlights look and still remember what I didn't know I would try and organize my newly found skills and knowledge.

The basic system:
- 14 cell, 120 ah. (~ 40 mile range?) - $2,050.
- Zeva 8-16 Cell BMS, VM3 monitor and CAN bus current sensor, temp sensor and Gigavac 240 contactor (for both HV and LV disconnect) - $525
- 58.4v, 10 amp charger (out of stock so this may change...) - $90

There are many ways to get this project done and I welcome input and lessons learned from others that have built packs.

My first pack is in a '05 CC Precedent this pack is going into a '16 EZGO RXV. But it really doesn't matter anymore than it matters what you put a AA battery into.

Sourcing the big parts:
I started with two 14 cell sets from the EV Battery Center out of a 2017 Nissan Leaf. Neli does not keep the website updated with current inventory, call her to see what she has. The modules are also available on Ebay there are a number of recent threads on sourcing modules. EV did not have the DIY kits or DIY end plates in stock, I was getting ready to fabricate my own when I got two sets from Pingeye3. I did ask EV to include the OEM end plates in case I needed a plan B for mounting as well as the original BMS tap connectors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

I am building this basic system but with the 600 amp CAN bus current sensor instead of the current shunt and I will add a sleep switch.

Pingeye3 provided me with a CAD wiring diagram for the first pack I did. We have since changed from using two disconnect relays to using just the single Gigavac 240 contactor and moved a wire to allow the system to be reset easier. The BMS HV relay and LV relay connections are wired in series using the Gigavac to isolate the battery pack in the event of either high or low voltage condition. I will post the wiring diagram after I have made the corrections. More on this later...

Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll be following this. Your other build was high quality! I've been hoping someone would do a very detailed build thread of this system!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Nice job, your first build was very clean and fun to watch. Looking forward to the next.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybird View Post
Nice job, your first build was very clean and fun to watch. Looking forward to the next.
This is the RXV I got this week that this pack will eventually go into and it's currently down at Pingeye3's place... He got board and pulled the old batteries. Since the batteries were out he used the opportunity to make some templates for the battery box... Those ended up made into aluminum and installed... With the old batteries out the electric brake sets. So he grabbed a pack he had on the bench and problem was solved... not so sure how well my clubs are going to fit. Good to have friends like this!

Old 01-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
yensidcamper
Getting Wild
Club Car

Gonna be entertaining to watch and fun to learn. Thank you.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
This is the RXV I got this week that this pack will eventually go into and it's currently down at Pingeye3's place... He got board and pulled the old batteries. Since the batteries were out he used the opportunity to make some templates for the battery box... Those ended up made into aluminum and installed... With the old batteries out the electric brake sets. So he grabbed a pack he had on the bench and problem was solved... not so sure how well my clubs are going to fit. Good to have friends like this!

I can’t believe you posted that picture before he got a copyright on the exact lengths and positioning of those 2x4’s.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

The end plates provide a solid surface for compressing the cells when you tighten the all thread and a and a bracket for securing the pack to the tub. You can see the aluminum ones which are 3/16" aluminum sheet which has been cut and drilled to match the pack and has a lip that has been folded and drilled for mounting. With flat end plates you can also use aluminium angle drilled to match the bottom pack holes then drilled and screwed to the tub bottom. For pack end plates I've people use the OEM steel plates (pictured below), diamond plate, aluminum plate, one guy even used plywood... Uhm... I wouldn't recommend that.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

So on the end of each module there is a Positive, Negative and center tap.

Let me pull out my soap box...

Do not allow the terminals to short!!!

REALLY BAD S#*T CAN HAPPEN if you accidentally short these!

Also as you assemble your pack you need to be mindful of the orientation of these terminals and where your B+ and B- will be located. I start with 2 modules with Negative terminal on top, then two positive on top and so on. If your building a seven module pack then you would alternate each module.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

The holes in the modules are 8mm. Understand that the all fjread will no be bearing weight from the side it is only used to hold the modules snugly together. You can order 8mm allthread or get it from Fastenal or use 5/16" or 1/4". The 1/4" was a little loose for me so I used 5/16" from Lowe's and I had to finesse it a couple of times but they were still all stacked in a couple of minutes. Some people have had problems using 5/16" allthread. Your call.

I added final dimensions.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium