lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
JCole
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charger Engaged Batteries Not Charged

I recently purchased an electric 1997 EZGO golf cart. It had new batteries (4 months old) and by all appearances (no battery corrosion, new wheels, good paint, etc. - looked new) has been very well maintained. Batteries were fully charged when I brought it home as indicated on the dash board light. After cruising the neighborhood for a while, with a little above 50% battery charge left, I parked in the garage and plugged in the charger (EZGO Powerwise II, I think - no lights or on/off switch). The charger hummed and the ammeter read about 20. After leaving it plugged in all night, the charger had shut off (or was at 0). I assumed the charge had completed, however, upon turning the key, the battery indicator in the dash still read a little above 50%. I tried again the next night... charger hummed, ammeter showed about 20, etc. Next morning same results. Batteries appear to have plenty of water in them, no loose wires, no corrosion, etc. Anyone have any ideas why the batteries may not be charging even though the charger seems to be working properly? I've searched and searched and could not find anyone else out there with this issue.
JCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Engaged Batteries Not Charged

Welcome to BGW!

Do yourself and your batteries a favor and get rid of that LED bar-graph battery meter. They tell more lies than politicians.

Get a DVM style battery meter, such as this: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

Also, get a handheld DMM (Digital Multi-Meter). You will need it to maintain your cart.
An inexpensive one in a blister pack from a discount store will suffice.

If the PW II put out 20A initially and shut off by itself, the on-charge voltage reached 44V to 46V (36V battery pack) and about 12 hours after it shut off, your 4 month old batteries read at least 38.2V, so your bar-graph meter is lying to you.

Here is a chart translating the At-Rest voltage (measured 12 hours after charger shuts off) to SoC (State of Charge).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Engaged Batteries Not Charged

well JohnnieB gave you the "HOT POOP" on your batteries and the DVM

so with that........CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO