lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
esvencarlson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default In line fuse to battery?

I have search and could not find.
I know that all lights have to be grounded to the batteries.
On my 1994, Marathon (just bought), there is a fused wire from the battery to frame, and it shows 6 volts.
Is this something that was put on originally, or added by someone at sometime?
Should I leave it or remove?
Thanks
E. Sven
esvencarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: In line fuse to battery?

It sound like it was added, the previous owner probably modified it so they could ground accessories to the frame.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

On an electric cart it is a bad idea to have the frame and body grounded to the battery pack! Other than shocking the hell out of you, It can cause dangerous arcs if a tool were to touch a battery terminal and the body. Wait till " JohnnieB " reads this! He will give you a much more dramatic description of what can happen!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by esvencarlson View Post
I have search and could not find.
I know that all lights have to be grounded to the batteries.
On my 1994, Marathon (just bought), there is a fused wire from the battery to frame, and it shows 6 volts.
Is this something that was put on originally, or added by someone at sometime?
Should I leave it or remove?
Thanks
E. Sven
Welcome to BGW.

simple man covered it pretty well.

But he did leave out the part about batteries blowing up and showering everything in the vicinity with sulfuric acid.
Batteries give off hydrogen gas when the are charged and all it takes is a spark to set it off.

The statement "I know that all lights have to be grounded to the batteries." is misleading. More correctly it should be: All lights (and accessories) have to have a return path to the batteries.
Back when cars were made out of metal instead of plastic, the car companies saved tons of money by using the metal body and frame as the return path and guys that worked on car sometimes did the same trick when they added lights and stuff to carts. Okay in cars, not okay in electric vehicles.

All golf cart lights and accessories should have two wires. One from the batteries (proper voltage of course) and another back to the battery. The cart's frame and/or body should not electrically connected to the batteries in any way, shape or form.

Remove the wire from battery to frame and run a return wire if lights no longer work.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
esvencarlson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply's.
This is the second one I have seen this way.
Last night when I got it home, I looked and remembered from another cart I worked on that the lights run off of a battery ground not chassis ground, so I took the fuse out and then posted. Not sure if it had another purpose.
The previous owners said they had problems with the lights, I know why.
Today ran separate wires to the tail lights, headlights from a battery negative that I was using with another battery for the 12 volts.
Amazing the lights work.
Took the inline fuse out from where it was to ground and used it off a + to power the light switch to 12 volts, they didn't put one in.
Again thanks for the replies
E. Sven
esvencarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO