lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Speed sensor magnet, is this a scam ?

This sounds too good to be true, sort of like the platinum fuel saver or ginsu knives; anyone know if this is a scam or if it really works? I cut and pasted the description .

------------------------
High Speed Motor Magnet Club Car 48V IQ speed 28 MPH!!
For Club Car 48v IQ golf carts only! Easy to install takes 5-10 minutes!

Increases speeds up to 21 MPH with no loss of torque.

For use on Club Car DS & Precedent IQ with ADC Motor. This replaces the magnet in the speed sensor. You'll know you have the motor required if this sensor has 2 screws holding it in as shown in picture. The magnet is part #32 that will be replaced.

This is not a golf cart speed chip, This adds 6-7 MPH more to your current speed. Club Cars with the speed setting 3 will see an increase to 20-21 MPH, Club Cars with the private speed setting 4 will see an increase from 26-28 MPH. No changes to your controller are needed, and no other adjustments needed!

48-Volt IQ only.

This is how to increase golf cart speed and get the speed upgrade you need without high speed gears or high speed electric motors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Speed-Motor...item3cb97cf244
rustyoldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed sensor magnet, is this a scam ?

its legit.

heres how it works:
the magnet is actually like 8 magnets; 4 north poles, 4 south poles. the poles pass a hall effect sensor which converts the rotation into electrical pulses. (off-on-off-on-off-on, etc) the controller counts these pulses and puts the smack down on your throttle once you hit the limit of speed code 3. to get around this you can:
A. give CC $150 to unlock your controller
b. capture the pulses before they get to the controller and then send less than what is actually being produced. (ie: gaminde's speed fooler 2000, speedy link)
c. hack the eeprom
d. send only half as many pulses.

the magnet mod does D. by using a magnet with less poles (say 4 or 6 vs 8 ), you send 2 or 4 less pulses per rotation. the controller knows the motor is spinning, but it never sees the speed go beyond the limit of speed code 3, thus never tries to regulate your throttle.

not sure how technically correct all this is, but thats the gist of it....
-sj

btw, you can likely make your own for a couple of $ by gluing some rare earth magnets to a washer. use caution though, they can pinch the s**t outta you. also, the material is toxic, so don't lick 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnet-poles.jpg (82.5 KB, 39 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
btw, you can likely make your own for a couple of $ by gluing some rare earth magnets to a washer. use caution though, they can pinch the s**t outta you. also, the material is toxic, so don't lick 'em.
That is funny : ) Luckily, magnet licking is not one of my fetishes : )
If this is indeed legit I wonder why more people don't do it? Do you think this would cause the stock motor to overspeed ? Would the regen still work?
I understand the concept (I think), you are basically fooling the controller
into thinking the motor is spinning slower.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
NAUTY TIQUE
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Rusty, I wonder the same thing, I actually purchased quite a few of them off ebay, Tried on my cart, unfrotunately when i ordered the cart was an hr away and I wasnt sure on which motor I had. I of course have the GE and they wont fit mine. I'm willing to make a good deal on some if anyones interested.
NAUTY TIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no it will not cause your motor to over-rev. Stock motors are not using more than a fraction of what they are actually capable of in terms of rotation speed.

I would be more curious as to what would happen if this were installed in a cart that had speed code 4 on it...

and I've always wondered why there is a setting on the curtis handheld regarding speeds in excess of 20MPH that seems to be locked out by the factory......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
rustyoldcar
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
no it will not cause your motor to over-rev. Stock motors are not using more than a fraction of what they are actually capable of in terms of rotation speed.

I would be more curious as to what would happen if this were installed in a cart that had speed code 4 on it...

and I've always wondered why there is a setting on the curtis handheld regarding speeds in excess of 20MPH that seems to be locked out by the factory......
Somewhere I read that golf cart dealers aren't allowed by some law to build anything that goes in excess of 20 mph lest they be accused of making motor vehicles, and thus subject to taxes and liability?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyoldcar View Post
Somewhere I read that golf cart dealers aren't allowed by some law to build anything that goes in excess of 20 mph lest they be accused of making motor vehicles, and thus subject to taxes and liability?
Guess it's a good thing we are both an Auto Dealer as well as a cart dealer..... Of course anyone selling LSV's now has to have an Auto Dealer liscence........
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
slojoenova
Not Yet Wild

So if you already have the speedy link, will the magnet help as well??
slojoenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
appel_1978
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTY TIQUE View Post
Hey Rusty, I wonder the same thing, I actually purchased quite a few of them off ebay, Tried on my cart, unfrotunately when i ordered the cart was an hr away and I wasnt sure on which motor I had. I of course have the GE and they wont fit mine. I'm willing to make a good deal on some if anyones interested.
I'll take one how much?
appel_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
appel_1978
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Actually will it work on mine I have a 1999 and the magnet I was gonna buy on ebay I found out wouldn't work on mine so would the one you have work or will no magnet work on mine
appel_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!