lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
MrGrmpy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Onward Lithium vrs Deep Cell

So I’ve been debating a new Onward & struggling with the added $2K Lithium option. Is it worth it? I searched the web but would like any feed back from owners.

Thanks!
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Gregt909
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Onward Lithium vrs Deep Cell

I’ve had mine a few weeks now and IMO it’s hands down worth it for the extra power. The acceleration is very impressive and there’s zero degradation going up hills. The run time is pretty similar to my old President 48 volt cart but it charges much quicker. Approximately 4 hours from a 10% charge to full charge using a 650 watt charger.

Definitely worth test driving to feel the difference
Gregt909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
XK4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I've had mine for about a week now. Beside the acceleration, the big factor for me was the no need for routine battery maintenance. IMHO it is definitely work the $2k.
XK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Gregt909
Not Yet Wild

Also forgot to mention the battery life is expected to be 12-15 years and covered by a 6 year battery warranty. That should equate to 1-2 battery replacements for a 48 volt cart which gets you a lot closer to the extra price.
Gregt909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was told yesterday by the CC dealer that my new Onward lithium cart will be shipped out around Nov. 6. Like the op, I had the same questions of lithium vs the 48v systems which I have had on all my previous carts. And like the op I have done lots of reading and research. I concluded that the pros far outweigh the cons, even if money is an issue (assuming you can afford a new cart in the first place). I hate paying such a premium for lithium but in the long run the difference should not be as great as the initial sticker shock suggests.

I consider the longevity and ease of battery maintenance to be nothing more than bonus factors but certainly they are plus points. But the real reason I went with lithium was the performance. The dealer let me have a real good test drive of his display model and they are absolutely correct in saying the torque is awesome and the performance is linear in character. By that I mean it is similar to a supercharged Jaguar vs a V8 twin turbo Mercedes. In the Mercedes there is a lag, very slight but noticeable nonetheless. It is called turbo lag which happens when the turbos are spooling up as you accelerate. I know, I own a CLS550. The Jag does not have this as its supercharger moves like a stone out of a slingshot - immediate movement from the moment of release with the stone showing no sign of hesitation at any point, not even for a split second.

That is the same thing I noticed when I drove the lithium cart. Going up a hill is virtually the same as going on level payment, while driving my CC 48v displays the normal drag. The movement off the line shows the torque difference and it is dramatically different, moving forward like an arrow. Riding the lithium cart, especially when tuned to sport mode, is a different and decidedly better (and fun) driving experience. Just drive one around for about a half hour and you will see what I mean.

Having said all this, performance aside, the new cart will be only slightly different from my Precedent with the Phantom body I installed on it last year. My advice and recommendation (admitting I do not have the cart yet) is to buy the new lithium technology if you can afford the extra cost.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
MrGrmpy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Greatly appreciate the feedback. I have an appointment for Friday to test drive both.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Deep Cycle Lead Acid Batteries are the Rotary phones of tomorrow. 20 years from now we will look back and laugh that we actually used this ancient technology.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

This thread was interesting to read. I just went through the same debate. Went into my dealer to buy a set of batteries for my other cart and ended up buying the batteries and a new 2020 onward. I did not go with lithium. I am in FL where its flat so the hill climibng wasn't a big deal to me. The batteries are only warrantied for 6 years so anytime after that if they go its on me and the replacement cost was more than traditional batteries. Sure they say could get 10-15 years but I couldn't find any research on the actual life where they were in a golf cart for 10-15 years and still going.

I just replaced my set of crown batteries that were from July of 2013. I got a little more than 6 years out of them which is the same length of time the lithium are warrantied for. So at this point in time I couldn't justify the price. I may regret it down the road I'm not sure but for now I am enjoying my onward.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
MrGrmpy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok went to the dealer & test drove both 48V Onward & the Lithium Ion. I liked the Ion cart. I placed & order for a Special Edition with the Lithium Ion. ��
Old 10-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post
Ok went to the dealer & test drove both 48V Onward & the Lithium Ion. I liked the Ion cart. I placed & order for a Special Edition with the Lithium Ion. ��
Nice
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car