lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default My own drive clutch removal thread

So far, so good, but I skipped Step 1, at least according to the threads I've read.

I pulled the belt up to the edge of the driven clutch and began to rotate it, but getting more than half of it to ride up to get it off seemed to put a LOT of pressure on the drive clutch (and I assume, the crank). That made me nervous and the air compressor was buzzing away in the corner so I decided to see if I could get the clutch bolt out.

After two bursts of the impact wrench the bolt was free. I'm hoping that bodes well for the clutch itself.

I inserted the puller by hand. It stops with about 3/4" of thread exposed. Normal? Will it need impact or just pressure?

It LOOKS like the belts could stay on until the clutch comes off. No?

Sorry for the newb questions. I realize this all sounds timid, but I'm messing with an otherwise great-running cart and I don't want to do any damage.
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: My own drive clutch removal thread

Taking off the belts first helps the impact vibirate the clutch for easier removal.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks BBM. That makes sense. No problem with what seems like a lot of stress on the drive clutch?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

I finally liberated the clutch, but it wasn't easy. I removed the belts, applied oil to the threads and end of the puller and hit it repeatedly with an impact gun at about 115 psi. I reversed and slammed it home, and that didn't work either. I was nervous about hitting the end of the puller, and I couldn't wrap my brain around what that accomplished, so maybe I made more work for myself by taking that too easy....? I didn't want to risk delivering big, unnecessary blows to the crank bearings of a perfectly-happy engine. Instead, I placed a 2x4 on the clutch surface and hit the other end with a mallet.

Next, I packed the clutch with grease (by hand). The puller became a piston at that point, compressing air and grease into the center of clutch, but by the time I would get the threads to grab, the air would force out much of the grease and relieve the pressure. The grease seemed to aid the "slam home" technique, but still no-go.

The cart hadn't been run in 2 months and I was frustrated, so I put the belts back on to go for a cool-off ride. Now I know why smart people roll the belts off - adjusting the tension on the starter-gen with only 2 hands is NOT fun. I finally wrapped a wide tow-strap under it, and pulled up on the strap from the back with one hand, while tightening the adjuster bolt with the other. It worked, for the most part, and my back is starting to feel better...

Round 2 (or 20): more grease, more impact, but by now I had gotten grease onto the 2x4, so I grabbed a wooden garden stake instead. This may have been the ticket, because the end of the stake reached closer to the center of the clutch surface. After a few medium whacks, the clutch was off.

So Tom, thanks for taking my call the other day. The clutch is on its way to you via UPS.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car