lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Default MCOR starting to die?

Precedent with a newish MCOR 4 that I replaced last year, its not the China Variety its the Mexico, today I noticed it is starting to stutter a small amount I have had this before when they start to fail. What cause them to fail, is there a contributing factor?
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: MCOR starting to die?

The MCOR foot switch and resistance wiper are the two operating parts. These two parts fail fairly consistently.

I had three Mexico ones at $90+ each fail within a year. See this post:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...highlight=MCOR

August of this year the China one will be 2 years old and is as smooth as ever. I bought a spare one last year as the price came down even more.

You can get three China ones for the price of one Mexico one.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

I have just bought the one on Amazon which has a 5 star rating - $30 and free shipping. Works perfectly, but hasn't yet been time tested.
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I have one that's failing that has probably less than 20 hours of actual cart operation. Pretty sad considering the cost of these.
Inside is a micro-switch, and a potentiometer. I haven't opened one up to see what's going on that causes the failures, but I suspect it has something to do with below average build quality and excessive demand placed on the components. These have a very small range of motion compared to similarly designed throttle position sensors used in other vehicles (like every new car and truck on the road for the last 30 years), and they're designed for what really can be considered a niche market. The cost to buy the part is not always reflective of the cost to produce it. In this case I would bet these are made for less than $5 per part. Add in some R&D time and maybe the initial cost per unit is $10 for a year or two. After that it's all mark-up.
There's also a resale factor to consider, it's not like CC makes any money selling these on a brand new cart. As many other manufacturers have found in the last 20 years, replacement parts sales create quite a bit of income. What good is it to design an expensive common component that lasts 20 years or more? You can only sell a cart for X amount to stay competitive in your market, so less expensive parts are needed to keep the initial cost low enough to profit from the sale of the cart. But then those same less expensive parts can be marked up for later resale, and that's where the margins go way up. The $10 part ads $15 to the cost of the cart, but when you sell another $10 part later on, now that $10 part makes you $75 or more in profit.
Rough examples only, there are far more variables involved than just the cost to build the part that determine what the profit margin will be. Suffice it to say, there's money to be made selling replacement parts.

Since I'm going to be on the hunt for one I may get several from different sources and open them up just for giggles. Might be interesting to see if and how they differ among brands.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
cart12
Not Yet Wild

Default MCOR hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImplantLabTech View Post
Precedent with a newish MCOR 4 that I replaced last year, its not the China Variety its the Mexico, today I noticed it is starting to stutter a small amount I have had this before when they start to fail. What cause them to fail, is there a contributing factor?
Implant,
1st, thanks again for posting pics of your Relion install. My install went well and I’m beyond impressed with the performance.

2nd, regarding the MCOR failing, my last Mexico MCOR failed after one year and was purchased from a site sponsor. I believe there are two contributing factors to the failure:

1. Pedal overtravel in excess of the design intent of the MCOR. I noted that my output varied excessively at full pedal travel. I could see this on my laptop while viewing the Alltrax throttle position monitor screen while driving. To solve this problem, I used 3M double sided tape to attach a 1/4” thick throttle stop underneath my mat at the contact point. You can see this here:

2. Excessive pedal side play. This was brought to light by member Sergio several years ago. Again, while viewing the Alltrax throttle position monitor screen, I would see the signal bouncing +/- 5% while holding the pedal steady at part throttle. Following Sergios lead, I removed the main aluminum pedal assembly and then the GO pedal from there. Once removed, I filed down the aluminum ridges (the casting parting lines) on the side vertical surfaces (of the main aluminum mount) where the GO pedal might contact it. From there, I fabricated shims from aluminum trim stock. I added two or three evenly to each side until another could not be added without binding the pedal. The shims force the stationary plastic sides of the GO pedal up against the moving part. This effectively removed 95% of the side play. Lastly, I also added synthetic grease to the sides of the moving plastic contact surfaces. You can see the shims installed here:

I will note at this point that this DID NOT fix an already compromised 1 year old MCOR. However, after installing yet another new Mexico MCOR, my pedal signal is 100% clean and steady… smoother than any I’ve ever experienced.

Alltrax users, you should run Controller>Clear Auto-cal after installing a new MCOR.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (46.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (34.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (32.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (30.5 KB, 0 views)
cart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I started a thread a while back which detailed opening the Mexico "OEM" ITE brand MCOR4:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...highlight=MCOR

As you can see, there is not much to it. The microswitch is a $3.00 item and can be replaced. The potentiometer trace does not lend itself to any repair, although some sort of trace lubricant might help.

However, being the big spender I am, I found it easier to buy a new Mexico OEM one for $90+. But when that one failed in a few months, I was smart enough to get yet another Mexico OEM one. That failed in several more months. Being smart and listening to others did not work in this case.

Then I got stupid and bought a China one that everyone here said was similar to joining the communist party. But I survived, and so has the China one for close to 2 years. And I saved $60.00 doing so.

Don't get me wrong. I hate most Chinese electronic/electrical imports. Most parts do not have a lot of longevity built in. But I sincerely believe MCOR's are different.

They are so simple, it is hard to screw them up. It comes down to quality of the resistance trace and microswitch. And I believe the Chinese materials may be slightly better in quality than what Mexico has available.

I really feel the Mexico ones are lower in quality than they were when CC first introduced them. I have heard of original MCOR4's still in operation.

Lastly, here is an interesting MCOR article. I laughed when I read the part about the MCOR4 functioning poorly in comparison to previous models. That is perhaps, an understatement.

https://www.golfstorageguide.com/clu...oubleshooting/

Note the Safety Disclaimer: CAUTION, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX YOUR GOLF CART ON YOUR OWN. DOING SO IS DANGEROUS AND COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS BODILY HARM.

I guess I'm going to stop working on my own cart.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #7
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Such great responses, literally just was hoping someone would say hey dumbazz you did this wrong and thats why your less than year old mcor is acting up :)

Now it seems its just common for them to suck, its really very easy to change them, at least it was before I rebuilt my cart and added the doubletake dash. I had the brilliant idea to rivet the **** thing and by doing this the floor mat is a bit captured. I also added plastic rivets on the side rocker skirts which are a bit of a struggle to remove just to peel back the mat to get to the pedal group. In the end its not the end of the world and the rivets keep the dash from rattling so not going to complain any more.

Cart12,

So glad you like the relion's I have been thrilled with them, your mods to the pedal group make so much sense, I have not had the protective plastic piece off the group to see where the shims are put, thank you for the suggestions and the photos.

Thanks again guys I am going to buy a couple off of Amazon and just deal with it now that I know its not anything I did wrong.
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #8
Jmuoio81213
Getting Wild
Club Car

Big intake of breath before blowing off a thread. Cart absolutely quit today (halfway across a street I was glad I had enough momentum to make it over), and after pushing it to a spot I could tug it the little way back home with my groceries with my truck/wife...I'm curious if I've diagnosed it properly. No click from the solenoid. Navitas reads the pack voltage state perfectly, along with the F/R switch, interlock, and the field voltage across the solenoid. There is 0 voltage from the throttle to the controller...blinks with the 2-5 throttle supply failure code and the cart (And readings) won't move a lick. Replaced the solenoid because I figured "if it sounds like hooves, it's probably a horse", but that didn't make a difference. Now I'm waiting on an MCOR, because I figure that's the next most likely answer.

Anyone have one of these fail so dramatically/completely? I thought they got spotty, then quit. Dave at Revolution was nice enough to tell me the same, but as I told him I did put in a crappy MCOR4 a few years ago to address a problem (turned out to be a motor, so a waste of time) that I think may have just packed it in ALL in at once.

Possible? Almost felt like a fuse blew.
Jmuoio81213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:51 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuoio81213 View Post
I could tug it the little way back home with my groceries with my truck/wife...
I’d suggest not calling your wife a truck. They tend to hold that against you…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:13 AM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I’d suggest not calling your wife a truck. They tend to hold that against you…

[emoji23]
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car