lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Whirring noise 2014 precedent

Hi all, I recently picked up my first CC precedent 2014 #JE1411, off a guy that had no idea about carts. It was in overall decent shape but looks like it’s had some use but has been sitting for 1-2 years. Just installed a new set of Trojans and took it for its first drive. And the rear was making a noise I didn’t recognize. When I first pushed it in the garage I noticed a whirring noise coming from the drivetrain. Was able to drive it today and confirmed noise is still there. Rear diff was a little wet, after looking closer it had a skid plate that looks like it took a hit or two, decided to remove it since it was Bent, bolts were not cranked on so I reinstalled them tight. I should prob torque them. Hopefully this stops the seeping. Drained the diff to see what the oil looked like. I’m going on the assume original as it didn’t smell like gear oil and the drain plug had some very fine gunk on it, no shavings or large particles. Filled it back up with some Mobil 1 75w-90 and drove it again, noise still there.

I’m familiar with Yamaha’s but this is my first CC.
I was able to take a video of the noise, cart drives normal speeds, wheels spin freely, set tire pressures to 18psi. Noise increases with speed and does it in forward and reverse. Does anyone recognize the sound? And could you suggest where I start? Motor bearing?

https://vimeo.com/723990082

Here is a pic of the sticker from the motor if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acausing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
Bertrrr
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Whirring noise 2014 precedent

Motor is pretty easy to pull and inspect, there is a coupling on the motor, might need some lube, mine sounds similar but had a rattle when I'd let up on the pedal, pulled the motor lubed it up and installed a small teflon washer at the motor coupling the noise went away for now. New motor is about 6 to 900$.
Bertrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrrr View Post
Motor is pretty easy to pull and inspect, there is a coupling on the motor, might need some lube, mine sounds similar but had a rattle when I'd let up on the pedal, pulled the motor lubed it up and installed a small teflon washer at the motor coupling the noise went away for now. New motor is about 6 to 900$.
Thanks for the quick reply Bertrrr, I really appreciate it. Was the teflon washer a generic part or is there a P/N for it? I definitely dont want to spend $$$ for a new motor now. Does it make sense to replace the brushes and end bearing while the motor is out? or stick to the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?

Also while were on it does anyone have the torque specs for the bolts that hold the axle tube to diff housing?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:15 AM   #4
Bertrrr
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I always say if it ain't broke , don't fix it,
There is a " bumper " that fits between the motor and drive coupling, I've seen pictures and videos but mine didn't have one, I had a small teflon washer, probably 1/64 " thick and stuck it in there , it no longer rattles when I let off the pedal. I looked at pulling the back end plate off my motor- this is where the brushes / bearing are located. Was concerned about getting it back together though , didn't see any way to pull the brushes back out of the way in order to get the plate back in position so left it alone - doubtful it will require any service in my lifetime as is.
good luck
Bertrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That kinda sounds like a bearing to me
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:23 PM   #6
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
That kinda sounds like a bearing to me

That is my thought/hope and that it’s in the motor not the diff. My plan is to pull the motor next week. Going to check with a local shop that services, rebuilds electric motors to see what they would charge to clean and replace the bearing and brushes.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:25 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The bearing is cheap. 15 bucks tops. And easy to replace once you get the motor out. Really not more than a 15 minute job if the armature comes out easily. Your cart is pretty new so I wouldn’t imagine it would fight you much. You can get an oem bearing for it if you call David hicks at revolution golf cars

You’ll have to pull the brushes out to get the armature and stuff out, they’re really easy to replace too. Part of that 15 minute job. But unless your cart has a ton of hours I doubt they’re worn enough to need replacement.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:34 PM   #8
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The bearing is cheap. 15 bucks tops. And easy to replace once you get the motor out. Really not more than a 15 minute job if the armature comes out easily. Your cart is pretty new so I wouldn’t imagine it would fight you much. You can get an oem bearing for it if you call David hicks at revolution golf cars

You’ll have to pull the brushes out to get the armature and stuff out, they’re really easy to replace too. Part of that 15 minute job. But unless your cart has a ton of hours I doubt they’re worn enough to need replacement.

Thanks CP241, I will give him a call and get the bearing and give it a shot. I really appreciate the advice and help! I’ll let you know how I make out.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #9
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well I pulled the motor, sure enough bad bearing. The noise was from the armature rubbing against the magnets. It shows some signs of corrosion so now I’m thinking of taking it to a local shop to get cleaned up well.

I also checked the input shaft on the transaxle and found no play and spins smoothly. Rolled the cart forward and back and no noise.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That motor looks like it's been under water at some time. It should not have rust all over the armature laminations.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car